Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

how hard to swap inputs in t-case?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by muddybuddy, Feb 28, 2006.

1. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

i have found a dodge 208 that is fix yoke, and i wana swap that in place of my 208 in my k5 which is slip yoke. from the search i did, i know i can take the back half of the dodge and put it on the front of the chevy, but id rather jus swap the input gears, (since its more cost effective since ive got a chevy 208 to swap in the input gear, and no welding and such) which i heard are different. my question is, how hard is it to swap the inputs?

thanks

2. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

i am digging threw a few 208 right now, doesn't seem that hard. once you get the back half off, and teh front output flange off, the entire thing lifts off and you can get to the input.
    one thing though, the pattern for the dodge case will clock the frout output to where the passenger seat is. it points upward at about a 45* angle.

3. muddybuddy

hmm, so that means it helps my rear angle and hurts my front angle right? can i jus redrill the holes?

4. big83chevy4x4

it doesn't change the rear output angle at all, but rotates the case so far up that its not usable with a chevy adapter. you can't redrill the holes, where the bolts would go is narrow and it wouldn't seal.
    its easier to get the dodge back half modified to fit the chevy front half. im getting stuff around to modify mine as we speak, wouldn't be hard to modify 2 at the same time ;)

5. muddybuddy

hmm what if it has the dodge adaptor? well maybe u can do mine as you do urs:D

6. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

Just swap inputs in the dodge case then use a clocking ring to get the dodge case where you want it. Problem solved.

7. muddybuddy

hmm thats a possibility as well. thanks bro

8. big83chevy4x4

you would need a custom clocking ring, ive seen it done before.a normall one from diy4x, or greatlakes would put it even further up.

with the dodge adapter, you would have to cut the front off and weld the GM from on to fit the GM tranny. there is no bolt-together options for this.

9. MEK5

MEK5 1/2 ton status

Heres a picture of a Dodge 208 with a 32spline GM input and a custom clocking ring.The GM clocking ring wont work like others have said.

IMG00001.jpg

10. muddybuddy

ill have to price out both ways and see which is cheaper