Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

how hard to turn 2wd into a 4wd

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by k5texan, Oct 11, 2001.

1. k5texan

k5texan 1/2 ton status

mainly wanting to know how to put the axle up front. do you just weld shackles for leave springs or would it be easier to put coils under it.
    thanks
    jared

2. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

Well you'll have to.....

Get a t-case
    Transmission
    Cross member
    exhaust (some)
    Put in all the shackles
    different shock mounts?
    New steering box and links
    Axle
    Cover plate in cab
    Driveshafts

It can be done, if its a good truck for cheap, I'd do it.

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/bigkern76>http://www.geocities.com/bigkern76</a>

3. Mr.Chevy4x4

Mr.Chevy4x4 1/2 ton status

With a Furd it is easy because the 2x and 4x frames were the same. Chevy 2x and 4x frames are completely different. Converting a 2x to 4x requires some custom fabrication and in my opinion isn't worth the hassle.

'85 K5 : Run it til it breaks, then fix it and go again!

4. chevrules

chevrules 1/2 ton status

I agree with Mr.Chevy about the fabrication....you are probably best to build up a 4wd chassis and then drop your 2wd body on it (still some mods though),better yet just sell the 2wd and buy a 4wd,cheaper in the longrun.

chevrules...always has and always will

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I'd just go to the junkyard and get a 4wd frame, with axles, ready to go.

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

6. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

Ford frames from 67-up were entirely different too - 2wd are narrower at the front end.

Of the 5 toughest dogs in the neighborhood, my cat's ranked #3
    <a target="_blank" href=http://pugsley.alloffroad.com>pugsley.alloffroad.com</a>

7. michaelm

michaelm 1/2 ton status

the only difference between 2wdr frames and 4wdr frames may be the frame rail hieght right where the engine crossmember goes. if i remember right you have to shave the crossmember to get it in. also the 2wdr does not have provisions for the 4x4 swaybar. really simple to drill for factory shackle hanger as this is a riveted piece, you drill 4 bolt holes and one larger hole for the bushing and bolt the cast factory shackle hanger in. if you go with a bodylift you dont need the 4x4 trans tunnel, least i didnt. the front spring hanger bolts to the frame and bodymount bracket. hit the wreckers, i paid $100cdn for every crossmember and spring hanger and i was able to pick and choose from stacks of frames to get the latest versions of each piece. the engine crossmember has numerous changes over the years.
    older ones are almost always cracked, never found one that wasnt.

8. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

Its very easy to make a 2wd a 4wd. You drive to the local car lot, tell them you want a real truck, trade the 2wd for the 4wd and go home... simple!

Mike

<font color=blue>Thumper
    85 Fullsize Jimmy
    [​IMG]
    <font color=red>Aint Skeered!! </font color=red>

9. Tatman

Tatman Registered Member

10. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I've heard 2wd K5's are pretty rare. I would go buy a 4x4, and stick the 2wd in the garage to restore it to 100%, then ebay it... Or maybe get a 4x4 frame and swap the body, if the 2wd body was totally immaculate.

Ratch
    <a target="_blank" href=http://k5.8m.com>k5.8m.com</a>
    Welcome to America.

11. Alex

Alex Registered Member

k5texan, the frames are different. The frames for the 2whl. drive bow in at the front to compensate for the A-frame coils. Back in ’83 I converted my 1976 Chevy Stepside. I bought a ’79 4x4 frame (similar truck) with everything on it from the wreckers for $1,500. The entire package included axles, steering, cross members, trany (turbo 350) &amp; transfer case (205), linkage, etc…. I wanted to keep all of my other stuff from my ’76 because I babied that truck for years. Once you have everything, then it’s a bolt-on process. You’ll need some friends to move the body. If you piece-meal it, I would not recommend doing it. If you swap from a wrecked K5, then it may be worth it. I lucked out because all the parts from the wrecker were still is great condition.

12. Mr.Chevy4x4

Mr.Chevy4x4 1/2 ton status

I know for a fact that the late '80's through mid '90's Furd frames are the same because I recently helped a friend convert his '92 from 2x to 4x. We went to a wrecking yard and scavenged all of the parts, and it was a direct bolt in. We didn't have to fabricate anything(except cutting a hole in the floor for the t-case shifter).

'85 K5 : Run it til it breaks, then fix it and go again!

13. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

Odd - it took us tons of fab work to convert a 90 4wd to a 2wd. The coil buckets ended up about 3" too far outboard. Maybe it works one way, but not the other.

Of the 5 toughest dogs in the neighborhood, my cat's ranked #3
    <a target="_blank" href=http://pugsley.alloffroad.com>pugsley.alloffroad.com</a>

14. michaelm

michaelm 1/2 ton status

actually the a frame coils are under the frame rails and the frame widths, if they arent exactly the same are within .5".
    my truck is a 2wdr frame