Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How hard would it be to..........

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Trigger, May 11, 2003.

1. Trigger

Trigger Registered Member

convert from TBI to Carb. I don't like the whole fuel injection stuff. How long, money and hard is it?

I had a code of 33 Map Sensor Error (Low Voltage/Bad). So I replaced it and did nothing for the high idle. It also said something about o2 sensor. Guess I'll replace that tomorrow.

2. MousePowrd

MousePowrd 1/2 ton status

Did you reset the ECM (disconnect the battery for 15 seconds) after replacing the sensor? How do you know it did nothing?

Sure you can ditch the TBI, and give up a few hp, easy cold starts, a couple mpg and still have to jet the carb and get it adjusted correctly, or you could be patient and learn about the wonders of fuel injection /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

3. Trigger

I unplugged ECM and no difference at all. When the motor is warm and I shut it off, I will try to start it back up and it wont. I have to floor the throttle to get it to start and leave it floored for at least 45 seconds before it will hold an idle but after a few seconds it will die again. I wonder if I replace the TBI if that will help any? I just won one on Ebay for $76.00 (hope that a good deal)

4. MousePowrd

You mean another throttle body? I doubt that is the problem. You have other issues. So the engine starts fine when it sits overnight, but wont restart when hot?

5. Trigger

That's correct.

When I give it gas it shoots out black smoke really bad.

6. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

sounds like you're running really rich... with the black smoke and all.

7. 87sm465np208

87sm465np208 1/2 ton status

might wanna try installing a new coolant temp sensor, the one in the front of the manifold by the top radiator neck that goes into the block, thats one sensor that tells the ecm how cold the engine is and how to set the mixture.

/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

8. MousePowrd

I second the coolant temperature sensor. Also an injector may be stuck open. See if the injectors flow the same with the engine running.

A plugged cat can cause black smoke, but you would also be losing power if that was the case

9. Trigger

After looking at the TBI, I can tell it back fired. The connectores and wires for the fuel injectors are burnt. Do you think with the backfire it could've fried something inside the fuel injectors?

10. MousePowrd

I doubt it, but the only way to be sure is to have them sent out and flowed and tested