Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How has CK5 paid for itself, for you!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BowtieRed, Nov 4, 2003.

1. BowtieRed

BowtieRed 1/2 ton status Author

For prospective members, why don't we break it down how good this site is for the money.

i'm 16. i paid $30 for it. i have learned SO much here. i didn't know what a rocker are was last july. i just completely a auto/manual tranny conversion and that definitely saved me 5-600 labor costs, not to mention the money i've got from selling things here, saved on buying things here and new group of people i can go to Uwharrie with. this site is awesome. i've also done my own 14FF swap, put my own gears in, found out where to get tons of parts and what are the best.

So let's see for $30 i have gone from not knowing what a rocker arm is to probably knowing about as much as many mechanics, swapped my own tranny, and i'd be willing to be i am probably one of the most knowledgable 16 year olds about automobiles, and DEFINITELY 4x4 and without a doubt chevy 4x4s in my county. (not trying to sound cocky- but i know other 16 year olds. . . honestly, they are dumbasses) so yeah, i'd say it's EASILY worth it, considering if i were to go to tech college to learn what i have it would have cost more than $10,000 i guarantee it.

2. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

I won the drawing for free CK5 stuff and I won another drawing for WTO hydro assist steering. I had members come to my house and help me. I have folks offering me help to do all the work I want to do in the next few months. I've learned tons more then going out and buying some books would teach me. Not to mention how much less it cost then buying books which I have found run $20 at the cheapest a pop. I have gotten parts for WAY cheaper then anywhere else I have looked. The best thing is I have made some cool friends from off of here. Some I have met, some I haven't met. This site is awesome and loaded with invaluable info. If some people chose to have an issue with spending 14.6 cents a day to post in the other areas then hey, their loss. They still have access to the biggest GM info base that I think is around and can get free help anytime they need it.

3. Don

Don 1/2 ton status

Simple, have a problem? Post a question and it's almost instantly answered.

I've bought/sold/traded more part's on here then I ever have in the local paper, there's $25.00 right there! The local paper run's about $16.00 for a 2 line ad. and it's only in the paper for 2-3 day's. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

4. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

$25 bucks a year allows you to have semi-educated debates with like-minded people in the Non4x4 forum. It's the cheapest form of entertainment(other than sex) I've found.

And who can put a dollar figure on friendship? I don't live very close to any CK5 members, but I have made a lot of friends(I know it's hard to believe /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif) in the last 4 years here at CK5. I talk to a couple different brothers every couple of month on the phone, and I've had other members walk me through repairs or discuss possible solutions to problems I've had by phone, as well.

Add to that the most obvious advantage of being a CK5 member- I can count on getting an educated answer to virtually any problem I have with my K5 any time of the day, any day of the year. How much do you think you would pay to have a personal vehicle advisor on 24 hour standby, 365 days a year?

/forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

5. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

Since I have been a member of CK5.com, I have only taken my truck to somebody else TWO times. The first time was for the pre-purchase inspection, the second was when I get my power steering flushed with a solvent and sealer..Thats it...The axles, engine, tranny swaps were all on me...And I honestly knew NOTHING when I bought my truck...I could change the fluids and thats IT...I couldn't even do a brake job /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif with the help of the AWESOME crew on this site, I now have the confidence to take on ANYTHING with my truck...

Chris

6. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I've learned and sure I will learn way more than I could ever hope for and found so many great companies to deal with all through CK5. Also met a lot of people I hope to wheel with, people I most likely never would have without this place.

7. Topdown

Topdown 1/2 ton status

since becoming a member of CK5 I have saved enough money that I could buy my truck all over again and get my tranny rebuilt. (I paid $2,400.00 for my first gen)

Stainless steel brake lines - I paid less than 1/2 price
    Tires - I got a CK5 discount and paid barely over dealer cost
    Softtop - got/used the CK5 membership discount
    interior - I WAS going to take it somewhere and get charged $800.00 to have it done, learned how and did it myself for $150.00
    New wheels - $500.00 a set new - $200.00 a set from a fellow CK5 member who went to 8-lug and didnt need his 1/2 ton gear.
    rebuilt front axle - learned how to do it myself here at CK5 instead of paying $600.00 to have it done
    rebuilt rear axle - same as front axle, saved $600.00 here also.
    Tranny rebuild - not sure of the cost savings, but I was told of a good shop that does quality work with a warranty - priceless in my opinion.
    doors - $400.00 each from LMC - I paid $180 total and they actually have window cranks in them
    exhaust work - every quote I have ever had was in the 700.00 range, but from talking to a friend made here at CK5 I got a custom dual exhaust for $250.
    Flowmasters - $90.00 each new locally, I paid $75.00 for the pair I currently run in my blazer with the custom exhaust.
    FRIENDS - I dont make friends easily, most people dont like my gruff attitude, but I have made a fair number here, which have all chipped in on pizza, beer, my truck, thier trucks, more beer, and that my friends... I could never, ever put a price on.

So what? you want to charge me $25, $35, $45 a year for membership... hell, get me my checkbook, where do I sign... because doing the quick math I figure that I have SAVED right around $3,300.00 /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif. So, more math, $3,300.00 minus the cost of membership... hmm... a rough savings of merely 3,265.00 + friends .

8. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I won a free years membership very soon after joining too /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

9. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

well lets see, i found out in one night that everything from my blown up 10 bolt (brakes) would bolt right onto a 50 dollar 12 bolt i found, so instead of paying 500 bucks for a 10 bolt from a yard, i saved 450 bucks, and was driving my truck. thats just one instance /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. mudjunkie 82

mudjunkie 82 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

The knowledgeI have gained and the great people I have met on this site is worth a hell of alot more than 25.00 bucks /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

11. BowtieRed

BowtieRed 1/2 ton status Author

ahh yes.
    cost of Membership: $25
    average savings: $100+
    look on Jeepers face when you reveal to him why his over lifted sub half ton slip yoked, non pinion corrected stock geared YJ broke do to an ungreased throwout bearing when he had his super high permorance NAPA clutch put in: priceless /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

12. Okiemuddog

Okiemuddog 1/2 ton status

Lets see where to begin

1. Bought my engine for mine from a member for a great price
    2. buying my second engine from a member
    3. helped me rewire my entire rig
    4. bought my first set tires from a member
    5. made some great friends acroos the nation, some that I have never met face to face
    6. made me realise that regearing half ton axles were a waste of money, just upgrade
    7. answered all of my stupid questions after I had thrown tools across the yard
    8. and the list goes on

Krennen

13. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

7. answered all of my stupid questions after I had thrown tools across the yard

[/ QUOTE ]
    That one alone has been worth the fee a million times over.

14. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

I got a cool job for the race season because of this site............ /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

15. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

lets see for me.....
    I actually won my renewal from the Big Dawgs( can I still say that?LOL)

Before I joined I knew VERY LITTLE about the function of Gm trucks and thier parts. I was more into street rods. I joined here when I still had my 79 Jimmy, which has been sold to my brother who has with my help and the help of those off here turned it into a 3/4 ton 6" lifted trimmed fender rear disc braked beast. (although he has toasted one of my motors and working on my 2nd,LOL)

and for my rig I started right as I joined.. My 1955 Willy's wagon bodied 77 blazer.

Which has been a ground up build.
    tires and wheels- off of here
    axles and lockers- off of here
    rear disc- off of here
    braided brake lines- off of here
    the knowledge of 57's fords- off of here
    concept of anti wrap bars- off of here
    on board air- off of here
    my clevis mounts- off of here

I'm drawing blanks for the rest but you get an idea plus I have sold way over $2,000 worth of stuff off of here. Plus I have friends in every state and other countries.
    I think at last count I have personaly met over 30 people off this site. and meeting new ones still. for those that bitch about the price..don't, what you recieve for what you have to give is way worth it.

I even bought my burb off of here.

I'm rambling so I'll stop now.

I even met a members daughter /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

16. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

got $200 or so off from member discounts... and won a HAD drawing...but more importantly, when I first got on the site, I could barely change my oil... now I can do all kinds of chit to my rig. saved SOOOOOO much money on parts and installation because I learn the best and most economical way to do things right here on ck5!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

best. site. ever.

j

17. 72THING

72THING 1/2 ton status

I got the WTO Redneck Ram at $50 off, got 10% off my front driveshaft from High Angle Driveline, etc.,etc. So being a member has basically paid me over $100 so far, not to mention all the priceless advice I've gotten from the members here.

Will

18. rick88blaze

rick88blaze 1/2 ton status

1. helped me with rear axle bearing change. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    2. saved me from buying new fuel pump, changed relay instead. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    3. i've sold about $40-$50 in parts so far, that normally would have thrown out. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    4. saved me about $400 by inspiring me to build my own rear bumper instead of buying one. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    5. saved me $75 by giving me the plans and help to make my own sway bar disconnects. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    6. saved my marriage by giving me someplace to talk trucks(wife hates it when i try to talk trucks to her /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif), and vent when things went wrong. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    7. knowing that i might have been able to help someone fix something instead of paying a shop to do it. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

19. MEPR

MEPR 1/2 ton status

i have learned a boat load here. I cant realy say much of it aplicable to my rigs but the site gave me a love for off roading. Before i came here i just had a LUV and nothing down to it. This site got me motivated to get some stuff done to my luv and now its lifted has swampers and alot more power. Now when i go to get my K-5 (soon im hoping) i will know what to look for and what is good and bad becouse of this site. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

20. daleearnhardt01

daleearnhardt01 1/2 ton status

For a mere 25 dollars I have access to so much information. I considered myself pretty knowledgble before I found this place. Now I know quite a bit more. Heres how much I believe in this place. I work at a repair shop and Id rather come here for help than ask my boss. Thats how much this place means to me. I wouldve been up the creek when I found my rust if I didnt know this place. But since I did and met a local CK5er my rust probs were solved. As of now that is the single most important benefit from this site as far as saving money...