Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How has TPI improved your milage..... How much increase?...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Cmoe, Nov 8, 2003.

1. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

Ok a friend claims that when he added the TPI to his k-10 he went from 10 mpg to 17 mpg. Anyone that has added the TPI system how has your milage changed? I am looking at doing this as soon as I sell my LT-1 intake,TB, and fuel rails.....

2. BobK

BobK 1/2 ton status

Petrolia,Ontario,Canada but working in Port Huron,
    I never figured out gas milage but I noticed I go about 50 miles further per tank now(stock 71 gas tank,21 gallon tank I think).But I also have a 700R4 in it as well.

3. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

You are talking about going from a carb rig to TPI< right? Depends on how much skinny pedal you use..........after a nice build up it's tough to keep out of it. That said, I averaged about 10 to max 13 on a 'light' week, going from 10-17 doesn't sound right but just my opinion. Best I ever got was 13 on the highway (GPS distance verified, etc) but again that was on a pretty rowdy 406. It's not so much the mileage as the drivability that FI gets you. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

4. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    as the drivability that FI gets you

[/ QUOTE ]

I know this already.... Would also be great if I might get better milage too....

5. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

Mileage gains from FI come mostly because they are able to accuratly meter fuel at low rpm's. In other words installing FI and a OD tranny will get you some really good results. Having a FI motor that spins at 4000 rpm on the hwy isn't going to get much gain at all.

6. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

I'm planing on the 700r4 upgrade (currently have a 350/203 combo)..... just need to find a good t-case to put behind a friends 700r4..... he has a 241 with a f*cked up case, but need to find a good case to swap every thing into.....

7. florida4x4

florida4x4 1/2 ton status

my stock 90 brub with the 350/700R/241 and 3.73 gears gets 16mpg

8. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

There are so many variables to measure actual MPG (tuning, tire size, gear changes, tranny changes, speedometer gears wrong, etc), unless you've verified the mileage yourself (say with a GPS) don't trust what most people say they get for mileage.

I expect at least 2MPG more on the freeway from my swap, but with all the other additions (heads, camshaft, exhaust) I'd like to see 5MPG better.

TPI will probably net you quite a bit of an improvement around town more than anything else I expect. (and at 10MPG in town, 1MPG increase is quite a bit) You aren't fighting aerodynamics nearly as much as you are at 60MPH+.

Still not a swap that will pay for itself anytime soon. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif