Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How Heavy is the rear Hard Top?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Saxwonder84, Jun 20, 2004.

1. Saxwonder84

Saxwonder84 1/2 ton status

Just wondering if I can take it off myself.

2. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

A 76 and up hardtop is only 185ish lbs. It's a little bulky but I can get it off by myself although it's much easier with two people...

3. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

You probably can, but you WILL have a sore back afterwards, it took myself and my friend Paul (Pauly383k10) to remove his hard top, and we were still kinda struggling, so it can be done with 2, but 3 would be better.

4. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Me and my dad did it on a icy drive way- mid winter time /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif It's better to have 2 people, so you don't drop it.

5. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

I've heard friends say they can take it off themselves, but it seems really hard and not worth the effort. I'd say you need atleast 1 other to make it go smoothly

6. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Yeah, as long as you've got the gumption to do it.

I took the K5's top off yesterday. It'd be a lot easier if the rollbar wasn't on it. I just picked it up on the back of my neck and walked it to the back of the bed. I then set it on some 2bys. I then got out of the bed. I then crawled under the back of the K5 to get under the top and lifted it up. I didn't hurt it until I went to set it on the trailer and I monkeyed up the bedrail seal a little. Two people can easily each grab a side and lift it off.

7. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

just started doing it by myself a couple days ago. built a rack consisting of 4 posts that i set up around the truck , lift the back, put a 2x4 under, lift the front, 2x4.

then i just back under it every night in the garage. not quite as easy as a hoist on the ceiling, but it works and its easy to do by myself...

8. Saxwonder84

Saxwonder84 1/2 ton status

Well guys I took it off by myself! I figured since I could almost bench press twice of its weight I could do it. But! Unfortuantly it slipped and scratched the side of my blazer pretty bad. Crap. I just got done filling in the scratches with primer. I feel like an idiot. But lesson learned. Never do it alone without a stand again!

9. Big Red

Big Red 1/2 ton status

<font color="red"> u should have a minimum of two people, so u don't do what u did and scractch ur truck. plus, its ten times easier cus u can slide it back, and tehn teh 2 of you can lift each side and carry it easily. </font> /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Me and my dad did it on a icy drive way- mid winter time

[/ QUOTE ]
    you know that top help keep heat in the cab in the winter /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

i can take my dads off by myself. even put it on by my self it is quite hard though.

11. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    Me and my dad did it on a icy drive way- mid winter time

[/ QUOTE ]
    you know that top help keep heat in the cab in the winter /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

My dad and I were planning on replacing the floors, so we built a plywood thing for it with a window, it sort of looked like a short box truck, if the plywood was white. So it still was heated /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

12. MR4WD

MR4WD 1/2 ton status

The soft top on my blazer has never been off. So, it has the stupid ass factory torx bolts with the anti tamper pin in the center. When I get the tool from mac tomorrow, what size do I ask for?

13. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

yeah, like others say... you can do it yourself, but with two people its a lot quicker/easier. In my parents garage (when I lived there!) I set up a system of hooks in the ceiling that I hung chains from. The other end of the chain connected to 2x4s under the topper with big s-hooks. I could pop the top by myself in a matter of minutes, once the bolts were out.

j