Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How hot do gears get when you break them in?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Shaggy, Feb 13, 2004.

1. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

Or I guess I should say, how hot are the supposed to get... I drove the truck for 20 solid minutes tonight, trying to get the gears broke in so I can make the drive to Pismo tomorrow without having to stop to cool them off. After 20 minutes the center section was pretty hot, I could put my hand on it and leave it there, but it got uncomfrtable after about 5-6 seconds. Should I be worried?

I don't really have time to pull the cover and check them, so unless someone really thinks it might be a problem I'm going to run it as is...

2. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

When I did my bonzai run from bakersfield, to mojave, to visalia, and back to bako the day before Frank Raines mine got hot to the touch where it was uncomfortable to hold your hand against, never did it again though. And the gears are doing just dandy after about 10k miles.

3. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

Cool deal, it only really got hot up by the pinion bearing. The rest of the diff was pretty warm but not uncomfortably so. How long did it take yours to get hot enough to be uncomfortable to the touch?

4. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

I was informed that they usually get real hot for a bit while breaking in, and was also told to change out the oil after the break in, how the long the break in? i can't remember, it's been a looong time since i set up rear gears.

5. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

Break-in is 500 miles from everything I've read, so that should coincide nicely with when I get back from Pismo. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

They were pretty hot at my first stop in Mojave, about an hour or so drive.

7. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

Gears get really hot even after they are broken in. If you tow a big load long distance, you will likely not be able to hold your hand on the diff at all. This is why NASCAR and a lot of over the road truckers use coolers on their differentials.

8. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

They get pretty hot, when I swapped in my new rear axle housing and gears I could smell the paint after I got home from breaking in the gears, they are just fine too. Been DD on them for almost a year now.

9. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

Sweet, thanks everyone. I'm off for the maiden voyage in about 30 minutes. Wish me luck, and if you hear on the news about some big dummy in a jacked up truck that lost the front axle and ran a schoolbus full of children off the road, think of me. /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

10. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    Sweet, thanks everyone. I'm off for the maiden voyage in about 30 minutes. Wish me luck, and if you hear on the news about some big dummy in a jacked up truck that lost the front axle and ran a schoolbus full of children off the road, think of me. /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

[/ QUOTE ] Branndon C and I aren't going to make it out there, we couldn't get reservations... /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif