Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How hot do mufflers get? Should I worry?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BozoWise, Oct 21, 2005.

1. BozoWise

BozoWise 1/2 ton status

Today I started building up my exhaust. I bought a used header back setup from Crazy427. Well as always I couldn't just bolt something up. I wanted the setup to set as much up above the frame rails as possible. So I cleaned up the flanges installed a few new gaskets and broke out the chop saw. A bit of cutting and welding and I got it mounted, built a few hangers and ready to start on the tailpipes. Now as I set back and drink a beer happy with all my work I think humm How hot does a muffler get??? They are 40 series Flowmasters so there shouldn't be that much restriction but I have a concern because it put the passenger side muffler about 2" from the fuel lines. Does anyone think I should be worried?

The only options I see is to:
    A - live with it like it is
    B - remove the passenger side and take it to a muffler shop and have them put an S bend in it to move it inward (might not be able to do because of t-case)
    C- install some type of heat shield around the lines on the frame rail (not sure where or what to get but know it is out there)

Any thoughts from the audience?

I did rebend the lines on the frame rail and installed a few more hangers to keep them all flush on the outer side of them providing the most amount of clearance.

As I look at the pictures now I see I got carried away with the welder. I should have bolted the passenger side hanger to the bracket, because I know have to cut it off and redo it if I want to remove that side :doah:

exhaust1.JPG

exhaust4.JPG

2. PsychoticDeadGuy

PsychoticDeadGuy 1/2 ton status

just put a piece of sheet metal between the muffler and the lines...like the piece that is between the cat and floor.

3. Cornfield creations

Cornfield creations 1/2 ton status

Yeah 2 inches would eventually boil the gas in that line. When we bend up exhaust we try to stay as far away as we can. A heat shield would be any easy way to go about it. You could buy a piece and 3 inch tubing or 4 inch and cut it in half. Personally I'd have your local exhaust shop put an s-bend in it to get it away from the line. :o

4. 1987Chevy

1987Chevy Registered Member

how close are they

I think it might depend how close they are to the hedders because I got a set of super 40 series on my truck and they are pretty far back in the exhaust and I can drive around in it for hours then get out and touch them and they aren't close to hot enough to burn me

5. dave_90_blazer

dave_90_blazer 1/2 ton status

yeah, might be a little close to the fuel lines, but a easy to make heat shield will fix that