Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How hot does the engine bay get?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Skigirl, May 3, 2006.

1. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

Probably a shot in the dark, but does anyone know how hot the engine bay gets - say at the upper part of the firewall to 6 inches below that, in the summer at 100 degrees outside sitting in bumper to bumper traffic for an hour?

Does this qualify to be added to the CK5 Trivial Pursuit game? :doah::rolleyes:

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I'm gonna guess somewhere north of 240 degrees, if you have the a/c on. :yikes: I can't touch ANYTHING under the hood of the Suburban if the a/c has been on for very long. It drastically raises the underhood temps to have the extra heat from the condensor.

3. 1985_K5_Silverado

1985_K5_Silverado 1/2 ton status

No idea. Probably not as hot as I might guess, so I'd probably have to stick a thermocouple under there to measure it someday. My cooling system runs at about 200, my oil runs at about 200, and the trans fluid runs at about 155 (those temps are all from gauges).

4. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

I would say it varies the entire time due to how much heat is being disapated , or not .

For example a BBC equip'd Suburban fully loaded pulling max weight for long periods will have severe temp spikes if shut off imediately with no air flow to cool things off .
    Underhood temps can be outrageous but constanly varying.
    A over worked engine can have a manifold temp spike close to a 1,000* but that is localized heat and what the ambiant temp is a guess.

Tom

5. 1985_K5_Silverado

1985_K5_Silverado 1/2 ton status

True, and the only way to really tell what it is at any given time is probably to stick a sensor there, hook it to a dash gauge, and monitor it.

6. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

You gonna make one of those engine burrito cooker things?

-- A

7. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

:haha: :haha:

I used a Toyota 22RE to heat up a can of soup durring one of our hurricain induced power outages . BTW - note to self , remember to vent the can for heat expansion.....:D

Tom

8. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Damn, and I thought brake fluid smelled bad when it burns on the manifolds (well, it does), but the thought of like clam chowder :haha:

-- A

9. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

Campbells chicken noodle Select - smelled a whole lot better in a bowl than it did on the manifold.....:haha:

10. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

:haha: Maybe not burrito. Maybe a cake-making capable oven :haha:

I've cooked soup on my 22RE in the Toy many times. Partially got the K5 cuz I was tired of being stuck places that then required me to heat food on the engine. Of course, with as often as I get stuck with th K5 I guess not much has changed. :haha::haha::haha:

Seriously, I wanted to see if it was possible to mount an automatic thermal activating head firebottle in the engine bay, instead of having a manual one mounted in there. I was going to call their tech support to see if they could customise the activating head for our engine bay temps.

Thanks for the responses guys.

11. Rob 85K5

Rob 85K5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Without knowing the exact heat range, I don't think they will. Just like a regular sprinkler or fire damper, the heat range is whatever the fuse is set to melt at.

12. Jimbo*

Jimbo* 1/2 ton status

Are we anticipating a FIRE????:eek1: Or have we already had one and never want to go through that again????:doah:

13. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

I live in Los Angeles. We need to anticipate everything.

Haven't had a fire in the truck, but I thought I might as well be prepared, as long as I was prepared for every other probable manmade or natural disaster (we tend to have them here).

I'd like to have something set up that's better than blasting ABC powder in the bay after I manage to get the hood up (no easy task sometimes). And just in case there's a fire starting in the bay doing damage before I noticed (being as easily distracted as I am) it'd be kinda cool to have something that would just go off by itself. Not very realistic I suppose.

Guess I'll just go with the manual system. Now the question becomes, do I mount the firebottle in the cab and run tubing into the bay with a nozzle into the cab too? Or run 2 firebottles - one for cab and one for the engine bay? Cleaner with 2, but then there's 2 handles, ensuring an available mounting surface in the bay that doesn't get too hot and positions the firebottle correctly (it needs to stand up or lay on its side crosswise to the front), etc.

With one firebottle, I'd mount it behind the driver's seat, then run tube down thru an already unused seat bracket hole in the floor. But then I have to use several connectors, run tubing under the floor into the bay, etc. Looks a little sloppy to me.

*sigh*

14. jms

jms 1/2 ton status Author

There's being prepared, and there's jinxing it...

Methinks maybe use a shop between Barstow and Las Vegas for this project - sorta as preemptive strike...??

15. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

kick ass i am wheeling with skigirl

she makes wheeling cake:D

16. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

:haha::haha::haha: So I guess you know that I've been to most shops between here and Vegas. Also used shops IN Barstow and in Vegas. And in St. George and Cedar City and SLC and Buttwipe and most other towns within 3 days driving from L.A. :haha::haha::haha:

That's me, the less evil, equally talented but infintely poorer wheelin Martha Stewart:haha::haha::haha: