Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

how hot is too hot

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by k5_beater, Oct 13, 2002.

1. k5_beater

k5_beater Registered Member

i just recently dropped a rebuilt 350 in my 85 and my temp runs around 225 to 230. i am assuming that, that much heat could not be good on my internal parts. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

2. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Yeah, that's a little too warm for a SBC. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

A BBC runs hotter than a SBC, and the normal temps for the BBC is at 210 degrees or less.

3. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Bigger raditor !!! Get one for a big block.

4. JIM88K5

JIM88K5 1/2 ton status

Try a new thermostat. Factory stock calls for 195 deg. Too much coolant will make it run hot also. Do you know the history of the eng block ? If its .060 cover it may run warm. Thermostat may be in upsidedown. Correct water pump? Enough water or coolant ? Where is the timing set?
    Jim
    /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

5. thatK30guy

I agree with JIM88K5, get a new thermostat and then check out the temps again. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Getting a larger radiator should be the last thing you do. They are not cheap and I've heard of some trucks with a SBC using the 4-core radiators having trouble keeping heat in the cab during the colder weathers, especially while driving slower. But don't take my word for that...just what I've heard. I would not know personally since I've never had a SBC truck with a 4-core radiator...only BBC's with the 4-core. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

6. sosamantx

sosamantx 1/2 ton status

that's wayyyyyy to hot!! where is your temp sending unit at (by exhaust)? are you sure it's correct?? i wouldn't really drive it, i'd park it till i figure out what's going on!! you should at least have a 3 row radiator, pull the radiator cap off (NOT HOT OF COURSE), and see if there are 2 or 3 rows in there. is there alot of calcium build up in there? also, when you put your new/rebuilt motor in, did you have your radiator rodded out (cleaned out)?? i agree with them, start with your thermostat 1st, these other things you can check.

7. fulltopblazer

fulltopblazer 1/2 ton status

If you've checked everything check you temp. sending unit. I had on go bad on my '94 jimmy and didn't check it til I had replaced the water pump and thermostat. Ended up being the sending unit.

8. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

it was alongggggggggggg time ago, but anyway, i remember readin somewhere that someone dropped a different engine in their truck, and the water pump was rotationg the wrong way. It was turning (for instance) clockwise when it should have been turning counterclockwise. Unless this your old engine, just rebuilt, you might look at that. (its been so long i dont even remember if it was on a chevy /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif)

9. fulltopblazer

Some of the newer chevys are revervse flow. The blocks aren't differentbut the water pumps are. If your useing a latter model engine make sure you have the older style pump on it. I don't think they used the reverse floe till the mid 90's but not sure

10. k5_beater

that might be logical since the motor is a 69-79 (dont know year exactly) and i used a 85 water pump. my sending unit is in the side of my block and is kinda in between the header tubes for one and three. could it be picking up heat from the headers? the unit is brand new. i got a new lower thermostat (160) and i am going from there. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

11. fulltopblazer

Don't go with to low of a thermostste or you heater won't work good /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

12. txbluethunder

txbluethunder 1/2 ton status

if your sending unit is new then make sure you have the right one. i tried three different sending units and all were off. some said i ran 230 and some said 140. i finally just got a mechanical gauge and it said i was running 180. i just kept the mechanical.

13. fulltopblazer

I forgot I had that same problem with my blazer a few years ago when I first bought it. It still had the '97 model sending unit in it and I couldn't get one to work right either. I put a mechanical gauge in it works fine now

14. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Don't waste your time with a lower thermostat. If its going to overheat like yours, you could pull the t-stat and you'd still have a problem.

Fix the real problem, don't try to hide it, which is what a lower thermostat attempts to do.

I'm hoping you aren't trying to work around an old (2 years can be old) radiator. You'll NEVER solve the problem if the radiator is plugged on the inside, or covered in crap on the outside.

Just because you don't see any corrosion in the radiator doesn't mean the bottom cores aren't 100% plugged. BTDT, have the radiator flow tested if it's condition is in any way questionable.

15. k5_beater

thanks for your help guys, my radiator was clogged to the max so bad i had to buy a new one. now she runs at an cool 190* /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

16. eshorvath

eshorvath 1/2 ton status

my sbc has been running at 210.. Is that bad?
    Has a new radiator, and thermostat.
    What can i do to lower the temp? Lower temp thermostat?

17. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

if 210 is constant, and it doesn't go higher you are ok.
    195 would be nicer but 210 is not dangerous.

18. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

IIRC the heads crack at 250.

19. eshorvath

eshorvath 1/2 ton status

Thanks, Ed

20. thatK30guy

I've watched the temp gauge these past few weeks while driving and the average temp was around 160 degrees. And this is on a 454 with a 4 core radiator!!! /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif