Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How hot should my a/c compressor run??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by yeild2me, Jul 2, 2003.

1. yeild2me

yeild2me 1/2 ton status

I put a new compressor on my truck today but it runs hot like the last one did.

I put all new oil in it, plus bought all the recommended part---dryer, o-rings, etc.

It only blows about 60 degrees out of the vents....I put a gauge on the low side and it said it was "Fully charged"

one other thing....since my radiator is in the bed with their own dual elec. fans, the only thing up fron are the condensor, p.s. cooler, and trans, cooler. I on have one small elec. fan from a toyota corolla (old school one). it only covers about the center third of the condensor...could this be some of my problem?

Any Ideas??

Rob

BTW---this is on my s-15 hybrd

2. berg76

berg76 1/2 ton status

You want to run as much air across the cooler as possible to drain the heat in the system. Generaly they can only bring the temp 20-30 degrees cooler than the outside temp. Thank god for recirculation /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif I need to figure out how to rig up a suburban rear a/c unit in my k5 with quick disconnect so i can remove my top. I like it cold /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

3. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

when the guy installed my central air in my house he checked the temp of air going in vs going out and said there should be at least a 20 degree difference. If your rig is doing that then you are good.

4. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Are you running R-12 or R-134?

R-12 gets a lot colder (mine runs about 40 degrees when it's 100 outside) versus the R-134 which gets about 20 degrees lower than the air temp.

What's your airflow like over the condensor?

5. Living Large

Living Large Registered Member

Just converted my 91 sub. to 134a. New compressor from GM, expansion valve, dryer, o'rings, orfice tube, and 2 hour evacuation. On the day it was finished, it was 102 degrees. After a quick drive of 3 miles, air out of the center vents was 37 degrees. With no charge in temp. at a red light. The trick is to COMPLETELY evacuate the system, charge with the proper amount of freon, and convert to a new expansion valve and orfice tube that is designated for extreme temps. It was labeled for 100 plus degrees ambient temp. Before, I was also concerned about the cooling loss, but it is all a myth if done properly. Pay once, Cry once.

6. yeild2me

yeild2me 1/2 ton status

Its converted to r-134a. I didnt have the system evacuated though. It was a typical 80-85 degree-100% humidity day here and the center vent was 60, so I guess I am on the low end of normal. I think I will get the other fan from that toyota to double the airflow across the condensor, and make sure my evaporator is sealed off to the outside, ensure my HVAC controls are operating properly (hate to spend more cash to find out the vent was pulling hot air off of the heater core!!), and I should be good.

BUT---I am a little concerned about the temp of the compressor....seems real hot to the tough. of coure it is a COMPRESSOR, and compressing anything creates heat.

Rob