Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How I completely drain my tranny

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by deek, Sep 29, 2003.

1. deek

deek 1/2 ton status

I got stuck in some water & now my tranny fluid looks like Pepto-Bismol, how can I drain my transmission & torque converter without removing it or paying the big bucks to have it flushed,, If a flush is my only option then I’m cool with that but I was just hoping there was another way /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

2. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

Go buy a few gallons of ATF and stick the return line from the cooler in the container and spark 'er up. Don't forget to put the strawberry shake in containers.

I did this a while ago to dump out about half my fluid because it was darker than normal.

Don't forget to flush the cooler, eh?

3. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Hmmmm....I'm pretty sure that the tranny cannot "pull" fluid into itself. That's why most ATF flush setups use a pump to introduce the tranny fluid into the system.

If I'm wrong, I'd appreciate if someone would let me know.

4. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

That's what I thought too but for some reason mine took fluid out of the container. Of course, I had the gallon container on top of the core support with a piece of 5/16" fuel line going down to the transmission line. But it still initially has to suck fluid out of the container to start siphoning.

5. Calclips

Calclips 1/2 ton status

Swartz Creek, Michigan/Flint while in school
    I've seen posts about this before on here. I know that this method will work, but I think someone said that it was bad for the tranny (can't remember why) but I'm sure that someone will see this post.

so I guess this is an elaborate TTT

6. 88Silverado

88Silverado 1/2 ton status

First thing you have to do is remove or drain and clean the pan so fresh fluid from the pan starts the flush.
    The system will not pull fluid. You have to start it up for a few seconds at a time. It should be in "N" to pump the fluid. It will pump out 3-4 quarts each time before it starts to suck air and spit. Add 3-4 quarts and do it again.

It takes about 10-12 quarts to do a full flush. Dont forget to move the shifter throught the gears after adding about 6 quarts. This will flush the valve body also.
    It is very difficult to get the converter fully flushed out. This is because fluid is routed to different areas of the converter for lockup and in some pressure regulators bypass the cooler.
    There is some concern the "pressure flush" setup can damage seals during the flush cycle. Actually I believe they use the trans pump instead of pressure.

7. weisel

weisel 1/2 ton status

why N and not park?

8. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Same thing.

9. 88Silverado

On some earlier transmissions, the pump does not run the same pressure in Park as in Neutral. I use "N" but thats a personal preference.

10. deek

deek 1/2 ton status

Ok so I start by draining the pan, and then add about 3-4 quarts through the tranny filler neck/tube. Next remove a tranny cooler line & start the truck for a few seconds. Then as it starts to push air I turn her off & just add more fluid, I continue until the fluid is clean, correct?

Ok now which line do I disconnect & where do I do it at, tranny or radiator? I’m guessing at the tranny so that it will flush out the cooler is this correct, also would it be a good idea to drain the cooler first? And at what point should I shift through the gears, during the first few seconds that I run the engine or at every session after filling?

Sorry for all the questions I’m just trying to figure this all out.

11. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

It is the bottom line on the pass side of the radiator. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. 88Silverado

[ QUOTE ]
    Ok so I start by draining the pan, and then add about 3-4 quarts through the tranny filler neck/tube. Next remove a tranny cooler line & start the truck for a few seconds. Then as it starts to push air I turn her off & just add more fluid, I continue until the fluid is clean, correct?

[/ QUOTE ]
    Yes.

[ QUOTE ]
    Ok now which line do I disconnect & where do I do it at, tranny or radiator?

[/ QUOTE ]

My recommendation would be to do it at the trans so you can flush out all the lines. To do this, you would remove the Top line going into the tranny, clamp a hose to is and secure it inside a large bucket. I mean secure and possibly tie a rag on the end of the hose in the buckes to help disperse the fluid as it will be pumped out with pretty high volume. If you cant do it at the tranny, remove the Top line on the radiator and proceed from there. This will pump thru the cooler. There will be some residual fluid in the return line back to the tranny but a small amount.
    If you want to drain the cooler first, disc the bottom radiator line and let it drain.

[ QUOTE ]
    And at what point should I shift through the gears, during the first few seconds that I run the engine or at every session after filling?

[/ QUOTE ]

The first or second session should be fine. The remaining small amount will be heavly diluted by the new fluid.

BTW, I would change the filter when you drain the pan. You need to buy a filter kit to get a new gasket anyways /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif