Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How I mounted my Art Carr shifter (pic)

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by CK5, May 6, 2004.

1. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

I couldn't find anything on the web on how I could mount my AC shifter that would work for me so what I ended up doing was makeing a cardboard cut out of an off-set triangle with a 1-3/4" half radias at the bottom to mount to my seat tube, I then took my template to a large steel house and for 5.00 per bracket they laser cut out my two pieces. I got rid of the plastic houseing that came with it and mounted it right where I wanted it, used 1/4" plate and it does not move AT ALL, something I was worried about because it was so tall and skinny at the bottom, but turned out perfect, when in 1st/2nd the shifter is straight up and in perfect reach for me. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[​IMG]

2. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Looks nice /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif

3. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

VERY NICE. I like it. /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

4. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Looks good.

You need to add another shifter closer to the passenger seat. If someone asks what it is tell them it's the emergency eject lever for the passenger seat. That'll keep 'em on their best behavior. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

5. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    You need to add another shifter closer to the passenger seat. If someone asks what it is tell them it's the emergency eject lever for the passenger seat. That'll keep 'em on their best behavior. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    yeah there aren't enough levers, needs ox lockers, some manual line locks, a fuel shutoff or two, battery disconnect in cab, hmmmm anything else? rear steer lever maybe?

Nice mounting setup by the way.

6. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Wow, sweet mount. I love that! Looks much sweeter than my elevated platform... <sniff>

What's going on here, is there some weird psychic connection here? You and I are going to wind up with the same rig as soon as you ditch all that sheet metal. My Art Carr is scheduled for delivery today! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

PRPs (almost the same color), Art Carr, very similar cages, very similar drive train, identical axles, your recent comments about loosing the sheet metal and larger tires... /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif I guess good parts is good parts...

7. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Yeah, but I'm better looking. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif I don't plan on doing anything major with the body, this summer at least, the wheeling season has just begun and it's time to get it awn. /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

8. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

looks awsome /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

9. marine_enlisted

marine_enlisted 1/2 ton status

Looks like a perfect spot to mount some cup holders. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

10. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

Nice fab work /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif I am not familiar with what the shifter is for though /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif I see your doubler sticks below/forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

11. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

auto trans /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

so did you remove the steering column shifter and if so how does that work? I suppose you'd have to remove it. Just not sure how all that works.

13. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

[ QUOTE ]
    Yeah, but I'm better looking. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    Well, that aint saying much, but I'll give that to ya... /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif

As for how it works. Yes, it replaces the one on the column. Minimally, you can just remove the linkage from the lower column down to the trans and knock the roll pin out of the shifter handle to get it off the column and out of the way. If the little stub thing left on the column bothers you enough, you can swap the collar (or the complete column) using a donor from round column car with factory floor shift, or a manual trans truck.

14. cybrfire

that is what I was thinking with the manual trans column. thanks for the info.

15. or2play

or2play 1/2 ton status

Thats nice looking. Them seats are nice too. Thinking of that route with mine. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

16. rodzzilla

rodzzilla 1/2 ton status

I used a tilt column from a 4sp truck. Otherwise you could cut and fill where the lever went.

17. cybrfire

I am thinking this may be in my future.
    Some time after the narrowing job which will begin on Sunday. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

18. unclematty

unclematty 1/2 ton status

nice fab work! /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif /forums/images/graemlins/weld.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grind.gif

19. stretch67

stretch67 1/2 ton status

nice work! art carr is the bomb! don't waste money on anything else! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

20. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Nice! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif