Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

how is a body lift set up?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bryguy00b, Oct 19, 2002.

1. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

like the question says..and can i do it right while im putting new body mounts in too?

thanx

2. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

yeah you can, when you jack up the body to swap the bushings jack it an extra 2-3" and put the puck in at the same time.

3. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

now would i have to worry about the steering arm shaft or anything getting messed up?

4. Tweetysuarus

Tweetysuarus 1/2 ton status

Just follow the step by step instructions with the body lift kit, they will supply the shifter extension and tell you about the radiator shroud.
    Bill

5. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

ok..well i think im ganna go ahead and order it when i get to lifting the body of. ganna take the cap of..and all the mounts and pull the rear end of the body up with some heavy rope or something, that way while the floor is out ill be able to paint the frame like i wanted to.. then put the new floor parts in and then lower it back down on the new mounts and lift pucks..

6. trouble1

trouble1 1/2 ton status

How much of a boy lift are you going?? I have a 3" (slightly toasted /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif) body lift. Here were my problem spots... Fan shroud had to be cut out at the bottom. Steering column had to be lengthened. This I did not realize till it was to late and i screwed up the column and had to do all kinds of playing around with it. Tis best to just be prepared to lenghten it. Gap between rear bumper and body. I got a peice of diamond plate aluminum and bent it...from under the rear bumper to the bottom of the tailgate....looks good, cheap and easy! If you plan on going with a suspension lift to, then you got to get into changing the pitman arm and all that. Oh yea....while they say you do not need to replace your shocks....replace them with longer ones, or you will loose all articulation. Hope this kinda helps. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

7. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

it does thanx a lot! also did you have any trouble with your tranny shifter or t-case shifter?

8. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

The tranny shifter, depending on how much of a body lift, you might have to lengthen it. On my 2" i could of gotten away with not lengthening it, but I did anyways (all depends of the shifter rod)...the t-case thing, you might have a little trouble(depending on the t-case and linkage setup) on mine (203) I didn't have to do anything, on others you might just have to adjust the linkage or you can cut the hole in the floor a little longer to give the shifter more travel to engage the t-case.

9. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

but no problems with the tranny lever on the column? did you have to pull the steering wheel out some or somthing?

10. trouble1

trouble1 1/2 ton status

yup-- I forgot aabout that...I have the 208, and had to oblong the hole a little bit. Only about a half an inch or so. The factory trim still covers, had to move it forward a little. Sorry I forgot, my brain is somewhere else. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

11. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

No problems what-so-ever. On my 2", all i did was unbolt the steering column from the dash and lowered it down, took off the shifter rod that goes down to the tranny, put in my lift, mounted the steering column back up and installed my new shifter rod that I made (pics in my webshots of new shifter rod) and was just fine. Some people will say to melt out the plastic pins in the steering shaft to help lengthen the shaft, I didn't do it, but i am going to go back and do it later when i find the time LOL.

12. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

how do you take the shifter rod for the tranny out?

13. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

there is a single bolt/sleeve on the bottom of the rod and at the top where it attaches to the column, is just a pin and washer and pull it out. very simple

14. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

ok i c thanx!