Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How is crossover handle on the street?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by tomnits, Apr 11, 2002.

1. tomnits

tomnits Registered Member

Those of you who have done the crossover steering, could you comment how your vehicle handles on the road now, compared your old stock steering setup?

Thanks
    Tom

2. 1 FN HI K5

1 FN HI K5 1/2 ton status

I will never go back to stock. I think x over is the only way to go. Handling and turning is 100% better.
    The turning radius is awesome. just my 2 cents<font color=red>1 FN HI K5<font color=red>

3. 72THING

72THING 1/2 ton status

I agree. Crossover definitely handles better on the street. It feels "tighter" and turns sharper. This is my 2 cents, so now you have 4 cents in favor of it. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Will

4. tomnits

AFter reading this link, I wasn't 100% sure if I should get it since my truck see's alot of street use.
    http://coloradok5.com/ordcrossover.shtml

So, is everyone who has done crossover happy with it's street manners? It is an improvement on the street, compared to stock? Any issues with 'bump steer'? I only plan to run 4" of lift with maybe a 42" tire.

Thanks
    Tom

5. Chaz88K5

Chaz88K5 1/2 ton status

i have been runnin the ORD crossover since november and its alot mo betta than stock..

6. azblazor

azblazor 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I put a crossover on my D60 in the last couple of months. It steers/handles as well as before. With the crossover you can't run with the stock antisway bar - so thats a little bit of a negative on the road. I also picked up a very occasional death wobble. The only changes that were done at this time were the crossover, weld in steering repair kit and steering brace.

7. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

The point of crossover is to eliminate or nearly eliminate bumpsteer.

8. Chaz88K5

Chaz88K5 1/2 ton status

no that is not the purpouse of crossover..it dose not help with bumpsteer..the only thing crossover helps you with is when you are flexed out..it makes it so you can still trun...thats about all it dose for ya

9. Waxer

Waxer 1/2 ton status Author

I'm sorry but you are wrong. Crossover will actually add to the bump steer.

It will make the steering tighter and allow you to actually steer when the axle is crossed up on some rocks.

10. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

Xover doesn't add bumpsteer, but at the same time it doesn't eliminate it either. It reduces it though. (on our lifted trucks).
    Boss

11. hoserr

hoserr Registered Member

i'll never go back to stock, i love the fact that i can twist it an' still be able to turn the wheels. my bump steer is almost gone as well. ditch the sway bar when you do the x over.

12. Waxer

I have to disagree.

It does add some bumpsteer. I felt it when I did the crosover conversion. My roomate felt it when he did it over a year ago. So unless you have some special trick when you did yours, assuming you have crossover that is, you must of been especially lucky.

13. Waxer

Boss,

Ok I see you have a D60 which puts the steering arm in a much higher position and less angle than it would on a D44. You also have the Hydro Ram Assist.

For the D44 let me say that it does ADD bumpsteer. The draglink is at a pretty good angle and when the suspension moves from say a quick bump in the road or a dip, the drag link has no where to go but push on the pitman arm and create a bumpsteer condition.

14. Boss

Wax,

I ran the Xover with no stabilizer or hydro ram for a couple of weeks with no major bumpsteer problems...it drove pretty much the same as now, except not as powerful...
    Anyhow, I do believe you though. Maybe it is a D44 thing..?? I know Dep has Xover with his D44...I'll ask him if he experienced any additional bumpsteer when he changed over...
    Boss

15. Butch

Butch 1/2 ton status

If you will put bends in your drag link at the ends to make it parallel with the pitman arm and steering arm your bumpsteer will for the most part go away. If your suspension flexes at all the the bump steer with standard steering is WAY worse than with crossover. Before crossover I could hit a whoop on the insterstate and my wheel would turn half a round now with crossover it barely moves at all and I have a lot of suspension travel

16. Waxer

Thats the weird part. With the stock steering I had NO bumpsteer at all.

17. Boss

Wax,
    Heard from my good buddy Dep. Here is what he had to say:

"...On the bump steer, I don't know who is saying that, but in mine and Keith's experience, it reduced bump steer, matter of fact, I have crushed 2 steering stabilizers (Trail 9 "slickrock" at Tellico) and now I don't even run one.
    I have 0 bump steer, I have asked Keith about it and his is 0 as well. It might depend on your drag link angle or something else. For mine, I guess I hit it right on if others are having problems...."

Just thought you might want to know...they're both running D44's with Xover btw. Keep in mind, I'm not trying to start anything...just helping others see that this mod is the bomb for on and offroad and from my personal experience, I highly recommend this mod to anyone...

Maybe you and your roommate should look at how yall have it setup?? Who made yalls arm? how much drop on the pitman arm? how much angle on the drag link you got?, etc.....
    take care.
    Boss

18. Waxer

No worries Boss.

Here are some pics of my setup. I made the draglink myself. Ford Pitman arm, Avalanche arm on pass side. New 1 ton ends

Initially I drove it w/o a stabilizer and would hit a bump to have the steering wheel jerk for a sec. I didnt have that with the stock setup so for me it created the bumpsteer.

Anyways, here are some pics of mysetup.

<a target="_blank" href=http://pics.rockreadyk5.com/xover/>http://pics.rockreadyk5.com/xover/</a>

19. Waxer

additionally this is from Steve Fox's writeup on crossover to which I saw Stephen Watson at ORD agree with.

"Crossover steering will have some bumpsteer because the leaf spring suspension moves straight up and down while the crossover draglink moves side to side. Since the draglink end at the axle will move in an arc, it will have some small component of side to side motion as it travels vertically and this side to side motion causes bumpsteer. However, this is generally an acceptable level of bumpsteer for most drivers"

This is true for my setup.

20. tomnits

Thanks for all the good replies. I didn't expect zero bumpsteer, but it sounds like there is a reduction in it compared to stock (especially on a lifted vehicle). I think I will do it because no one had any regrets, and it didn't sound like anyone had any road handling issues.

Thanks
    Tom