Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How is harbor freight tools?? I have a chance to buy a lot of tools.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 84CUCV, Oct 21, 2002.

1. 84CUCV

84CUCV 3/4 ton status Premium Member

I have a chance to get a lot of chicago power tools. I nerer heard of them. There is about 1200 in tools. Is there stuff worth it? Is it good or crap? What is the chance it is made in /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif. Thanks Mike

2. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

I've had good and bad luck with chicago power tools. I bought a 12v cordless drill and it was toast the second time I used it. I have a little power washer that seems to do ok. Overall I probably would not recommend them though.

3. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

Harbor freight has really cheap stuff...cheaply made and cheap. If you don't use it everyday or abuse them they can be decent tools. Ya get what ya pay for.

4. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Well if the $1200 has to be spent on that brand power tools what sort of tools would you like. Some of their saws are ok. THey have a Ok Compound miter for wood that is ok. They have a ok Chop saw, Too bad they don't make a bandsaw simular to the one the Harbor sells made by Central. My bud has the cheap one of those and I sure wish I had the cash for one. Real handy.
    $1200 in Chicago is pretty close to everything Harbor sells for that brand LOL.

5. 4x4Freak

4x4Freak 1/2 ton status

Like others have said, some of their stuff is ok if it's not abused. We have a 4" grinder that we've been using for a couple years; it's noisy as hell but it still works good. We also have a bench grinder that works pretty good. We also have a chop saw but I burnt it up by putting too much load on it. Some of these may be the Central brand, but from what I've seen they all seem to be about the same quality.

6. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

They regularly have stuff on sale, like a 4 inch electric grinder for $15-20. You simply can't expect anything that cheap to be built with any quality parts. None of their stuff compares well with name brand tools. If you can get that $1,200 worth of tools for maybe $150, then it might be worth the trouble. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif All of their tools are low-end, made-in-China stuff. If that's all you need, then it may be right for you.

7. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Ah, the poor man's store. I'm stocked with some Chicago stuff and happy with it, but I don't use it everyday. Just don't buy the package of cutting discs, they suck.

8. hammer

hammer 1/2 ton status

I had a 4" grinder from harbor freight and I caught on fire after 10 min of using it.

9. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

I've got a cheap grinder story.
    I worked at an ACE Hardware for 2.5 years and they sold JMKT tools. Little stuff (screwdrivers, drill bits) in a bin for 1.99, 3.99 etc. Well, we got in about 20 4" angle grinders from them. $12.99 a piece. I thought...to good to be true, so I tested it. I grabbed one off of the shelf and went over to the small engines shop. I open the box, and sitting in there with the angle grinder is a package with spare carbon brushes. This just screams...I'm a piece of junk. So, I put on the disc and plug it in. I hit the trigger and it starts going. Decent sound, little to no vibration....for the first two seconds. Then, it starts popping (like gun shot loud) So, I shut it of and unplug it (not wanting to kill myself). When I go to take the disc off, the shaft that it's mounted to has over 1/2" of side-to-side play in it. So, instead of boxing it back up, it went right into the trash.
    Moral of the story...if it sounds to good to be true, it is.

10. 87sm465np208

87sm465np208 1/2 ton status

dammit, i wish i could work at a hardware store, i really need to get a job around auto parts or hardware, i need to find an ace that is hireing.

/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

11. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Working at a Hardware store has been one of the best experiences of my life. I've learned so much about so many different things it's unbelievable.
    Next to the mechanics, I was top seller of power equipment. I was the screen and window man (customers brought in screens and windows and I replaced them). I can run the cash registers, mix paint, look at a key and tell you which one of the 100+ blanks to use, and not only know where everything is in the store, but what it's used for and how to use it. And, I can find power tool parts on those damn Micro fiche cards. It's a memory intensive job and all about initiative. You want to do it...just learn, they'll love you for it. You'll learn a wealth of information. My managers and owner are really cool too. From sending me out on Sundays with $20 to buy donuts, to asking me to come back during my Christmas and Spring break and next summer. How's that for an awesome job.

12. Tybee

Tybee 1/2 ton status

I would stay away from the cordless tools there.

13. 84CUCV

84CUCV 3/4 ton status Premium Member

OK...Thanks for the help Mike