Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How is our exhaust system layed out on 1990 suburbans?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by joey90, Dec 30, 2003.

1. joey90

joey90 Registered Member

I'm thinkin about gettin a couple of those purple hornies and some headers but I'm confused as to how the cat(s) fit into the picture here. Could someone give me an explaination of how it's layed out? Someone also wanna recommend some good headers for the 350?

2. skratch

skratch 1/2 ton status

Assuming it's the same as my 87 Burb, stock(crappy) manifolds to a y-pipe with a 3" outlet into a cat next to the transfercase (driverside). Then a single 3" pipe into the muffler and a pipe over the axle exiting under the spare tire well.

I'm going with Edelbrock TES headers and y-pipe. I'll get a hihg flow cat put back in and dual it behind the cat. All 3" pipe with 4" resonator tips. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. bigburban383

bigburban383 1/2 ton status

I got the same year burban. I cut I mean the catalytic converter fell off. I went from the Y-pipe to a 3-chamber Flowmaster then exited in front the the driver rear tire. It sounds very very nice. PIC of pipe exiting PIC

4. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

If your state does vechile inspections, you may be SOL, but if you don't have too worry about inspectiond, I'd say get yourself some Doug Thorley TRI-Y headers, then get a exhaust shop too build you a set of pipes that'll get the Purple Horneys back far enough that they won't have any interfearnce problems with the T-case. Oh yeah, no inspections, no cat(s) /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. bigburban383

bigburban383 1/2 ton status

Yeah, tri-Ys are good for torque.