Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How keep water out of the carb?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by txbartman, Feb 12, 2002.

1. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

Okay, now that I have my new engine and my new open air filter and 5" K&N, I have a question...

I am running a competition in a few weeks that includes a deep mud run. I am confident I will be sloshing a lot of water up and into the engine compartment either by the tires, the fan, or something. What would be the most COST-EFFECTIVE way to protect my carb and air cleaner? It will not be submerged, so I don't need a snorkel. Are the K&N pre-filters really worth it? What about some sort of "shield" on the front and sides of the filter that attach to the air cleaner somehow?

Thoughts, please?

Brian
    Check out <a target="_blank" href=http://tx85gmcguy.alloffroad.com>My Jimmy</a> with all her projects!

2. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

sheet metal. make a spacer that bends round both sides and front. but not the back. then bolt it in under the carb. if you use anything thick use 2 gaskets for your carb. thin you might be able to get away with it. OR put your inner fenders in.
    Grant

1974 Chevy Blazer Cheyanne. but it is on 33's now, with saggy old springs. i am in Yuma Arizona if ya got any parts for me.

3. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

I have my inner fenders in place. but, when I hit a pit professionally dug for 38"+ tires, I am sure to get a lot of splash up and into the engine compartment. Last time I was out in the mud playing, I got mud splatters on the underside of the hood. So, I am just trying to protect. I want something easily removeable to keep from restricting airflow in the sand drag and obstacle course events, but I want it protected during the mud bog (the first event of the day).

Brian
    Check out <a target="_blank" href=http://tx85gmcguy.alloffroad.com>My Jimmy</a> with all her projects!

4. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

the prefilter keeps big globbers out, but as far as water and stuff, let me know when you find something that works [​IMG]. You might make sure that gap from your body lift is covered..you know by the frame?

<font color=green>Can't sleep...the clown will get me</font color=green>

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.bluefox.tv/~lara>My Wonderful Site</a>

5. Mudstud

Mudstud 1/2 ton status

Stop by the junk yard and get an old air filter assmebly and just cut it as described above- cut the back out of it.

If you go to the parts store and look at the mudflap section they often have 'cut your own' flaps. Rectangle pieces of rubber. You could screw these to the inside of the fenders and maybe one under the fan shroud to deflect the goo. On the road I have the air filter lid upside down so it can breath better but whenever I run offroad I always flip my air cleaner lid back the way it's supposed to go. That way it doesn't matter how much splash there is the filter will stay dry. Good luck in the competion.

Mudstud
    <a target="_blank" href=http://communities.msn.com/OffroadK5s/6superliftand33s.msnw>http://communities.msn.com/OffroadK5s/6superliftand33s.msnw</a>
    76K5 6" with 33s, sb400/350/203parttime/3.73-D44/GM12bolt

6. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

go to the junk yard and get a stock filter asembaly(sp?) cover and run it in the mudbog and then put your k&amp;n back on for the rest of the day

wheeling pics

7. four_by_ken

four_by_ken 1/2 ton status

If this is just for the mud run only and temporarily... to protect the front nd sides...

Duct tape!!!

Cheap as can be, and works. I have done this.

Ken H.

'86 K5 in parts
    1-ton 454 44 TSLs

8. MTPockets

MTPockets 1/2 ton status

make a snorkel for it. you can go the arb expensive route or make one out of pvc.
    good luck!

MTPockets

MAD MAX: http://community.webshots.com/user/mtpockets35

9. TorkDSR

TorkDSR 1/2 ton status

i wouldnt worry, the oil on the filter wards out any water besides complete submersion. thats what ive found

beligerence doesn't justify intelligence.
    <font color=blue>wheelers hate posers.</font color=blue>
    <font color=red>79k15/400/700r4/205/38.5</font color=red>

10. Overkill

Overkill 1/2 ton status

I would have to agree with seventy4Blazer, a sheet metal shield should work well, I have a friend that did the same thing on his d@dge and it works like a charm. If you space it away from the filter element (1/4 - 1/2 inch) it should still keep splashing water and mud off the filter yet still let the filter breathe like it should. May be a permanent solution. You could also bring the front lip up almost to the hood to really make sure the fan doesn't throw any goo into it. Lets call it sub-hood cowl induction, haha. Just a thought.

Pics at <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/jlblmkh>http://community.webshots.com/user/jlblmkh</a>

(Formerly heaj1)
    Swimmin like a rock, slingin like a stock, but not for long.

11. four_by_ken

With going though a lot og mud and water, especailly with a lot of wheel speed.... that little bit of oil on the filter will do NOTHING to keep the water out.

Ken H.

'86 K5 in parts
    1-ton 454 44 TSLs

12. TorkDSR

TorkDSR 1/2 ton status

i have a k&amp;n open filament, and when i got to the car wash i leave the hood open and power wash everything with the engine still running. its never bogged down or studdered, and that is with water being forced into the element. even in offroad experience ive never had a problem. IMHO itll be fine

beligerence doesn't justify intelligence.
    <font color=blue>wheelers hate posers.</font color=blue>
    <font color=red>79k15/400/700r4/205/38.5</font color=red>

13. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Hang a large piece of rubber from your front bumper if you're so worried. It will keep water from splashing up on your spark plugs and bogging out your motor.

As for the air filter, get a cheap paper one. Replace the paper one with the K&amp;N when you're done 'bogging.

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

14. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

I think what I have decided to do is to (a) get some strips of rubber to attach to my inner fender wells to act as shields from the tires (lips to cover the body lift gap). Secondly I will (b) make a shield for the air filter out of lexan (so it all still looks pretty, even covered in mud) that will protect the front and sides of the filter, leaving the rear exposed, and allowing about 1 to 1 1/2 inches of space around the protected part of the filter for good air flow.

This should keep from restricting air flow too much, keep it "pretty", and keep it running. I will probably leave the shield on anytime I do an offroad jaunt when it is muddy OR really dry and dusty (the only two ways it gets down here in TX!).

Brian

15. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

I know from experience that the oil in a K&amp;N filter won't stop water from entering the carb. JC Whitney sells a "Air Cleaner Shield" for a 14" x 3" filter for 7.99. The stock air cleaner assembly also sounds like an easy fix, one of these days I need to do this as well, but havent got around to it. Nothing like sucking a little water into the carb...lol

16. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

The rubber hanging from the front bumper really works!!

I suggest the K&amp;N Prefilter like you mentioned too in addition to the shield. I'm sure it will help, and it looks cool too.

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

17. four_by_ken

There is a big differance between WOT and idle and sucking water in the intake. I have a 4 inch air cleaner sucked down to about an inch once, just going through some water.

K&amp;Ns are a complete waste of money if you do a lot of ddep mud in my opinion. They get caked as easy as a cheapie. And you can never get all the dirt and grim out of a K&amp;N no matter how hard you try.

Ken H.

'86 K5 in parts
    1-ton 454 44 TSLs

18. Panther

Panther 1/2 ton status

I'll second ken's K&amp;N water story. I sucked in water through it just from splashing up through the stock intake.

<font color=blue>Brilliance is like 4wd, it allows you to get stuck in a more remote location [​IMG]</font color=blue>