Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How late it too late to work in the garage without bothering the neighbors?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Emmettology 101, Sep 4, 2003.

1. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

How late do you fab in the garage without feeling like you are bothing your neighbors? Isn't it 9pm or 9:30pm where you are "allowed" to make noise until?

I have been fabbin some and runnin the chop saw, sawzall, welder(not like it is load) and hammerin alot and not want to piss anyone off. Most of my neighbors stop stuff earlier in the evening(my one neighbor is a sign maker), but I work best from 7pm on.... When we had our warhouse sized garage that wasn;t in a residential neighbor hood, I would be working until 2-3am sometimes.. But now I feel bad working much past 9:30pm for fear of pissing someone off.

Whatcha thinnk? /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

Why not just go talk to a few of your closest neighbors and see what they say.

3. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

If your neighbors have small kids, they'll be getting pissed at ya about 8 PM. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif I just close the garage doors when it's starting to get late. I can keep working on most stuff inside without bothering anyone. I don't weld or paint with the doors closed, as the fumes are too bad. But most other things I can do inside without bugging the neighbors.

4. Emmettology 101

I have thought of that but haven't got a chance yet... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

I would ask them. Why not. You never know, they may not mind at all. At least on the weekends anyway.

Where I live, it's not big deal, I don't have to worry about the neighbors, but my wife on the other hand get's kinda tired of the noise /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif MY neighbors are all real cool and tolerate it. One of them works shift work and enjoys coming home at midnight and seeing someone else still awake. My othe rneighbor drives a dumptruck and is usually out working that late as well. Those are about the only one's close enough to hear me /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

6. Emmettology 101

I am afraid even with the doors closed it is loud(no insulation in my garage yet...)

7. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

My garage is actually closer to the neighbor's house than mine. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif So I am in the same boat. I usually try to save the noisy work for the earlier hours. I don't want to wake up my kids or hers. But, I'll wrench into the wee hours of the morning. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

[ QUOTE ]
    no insulation in my garage yet...

[/ QUOTE ]
    Better get a move on! Winter will be here before ya know it! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

9. JK5

JK5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I wouldn't worry about it....
    I'd put them to the test!!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

The worst thing that could happen is...
    They could ask YOU to quiet down!!! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

10. Emmettology 101

True.... I am almost done with my front bumper anyhow. Tonight I should be buttoning it up!

11. Emmettology 101

Ya, it is on my list of things too do.. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

At my house here on the edge of city limts its 11:30pm (farming area). I try to keep the metal hammering and grinding to a min after 9-9:30. On occation I work until 11pm or so. The way I look at it, they start mowing at 6:30-7 am in the summer mornings so a couple of my late nights they can deal with! Bad thing is since we are at the edges of the city limit things echo forever and voices can carry a few houses down plain as day. So when 9-10pm rolls around and I'm cursing the daylights out of the truck I know the neighbors can hear me. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

When we were doing JeremyK5's blazer we had a few LATE nights that ended in the early morn (3-4am)!

13. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

I work in my garage as late as I want...I don't like my neighbors anyways.

14. ramjet gmc

ramjet gmc CK5 Staff Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

in a town i lived in contractors could not work past 8 pm for a sound law ---- for drills saws ect

15. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

Well my garage is surrounded by the cemetery so I'd have to be really loud to wake the neighbors /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Also luckily I am out of the borough limits (by about 100') so I do not have to conform to their draconian laws. Tyrone borough actually passed an ordinance limiting the fire whistle from blowing more than once /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif I just hope the people that proposed this ordinance have a house fire and help is delayed because some fireman didn't hear the first blow...no, on second thought I do not wish that on anyone but I'm not a dick like most of the people in town. When our aa highschool football team won the state championship they would normally be welcomed into town by the fire companies engines sounding their whistles and people on the sidewalks cheering, but thanks to that new ordinance none of that was allowed and they just rolled in silently and went home /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

Problem is we have more old folks homes than regular homes and those people could give 2 shits less about the youth of this town. It's a big pet peeve of mine and the current mayor won't do anything because she like the revenue the homes bring in so we get more and more. OK I'm rambling....basically I feel do what you wish and tell the neighbors if they have a problem to give a call and it will be toned down.

16. JK5

JK5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Well.....
    You're on a roll!!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Look at the brite side....
    You only have 1 truck to get ready!!!
    My neighbors are used to my late nights. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

17. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

I try to get my work done in the light of day if at all possible.I have a quonset metal garage with no insulation,and it directs the sound of power tools out like an amplifier.My neighbors have been cool--but my mother sold half her 4 acre property ,now a 300,000 dollar yuppie castle sits where I'd watch deer grazing every morning over coffe /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif.They havent complained but I havent been doing much this year to complain about.I just try to keep the sledge hammering and compressor and air tools quiet after dark.But if my truck needs to be fixed I do it--my neighbors think its ok to tie their german shepered to a tree and lets it bark all day and night for 3 years running, /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gifand now I hear a rotwilder and another dog joining in 2 houses away--so if its ok for them to do that,and mow their lawn at 7 to 9 am sunday while I'm hungover--why should I worry about them--they dont like it they can lump it. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gifIt used to be a nice place to live / work--till all the rich yuppies moved in,and my old neighbors think they own the town since they have been here 20 years like me.Its a sad state the world is in today,the way people behave like they are the only ones that matter,and the hell with everyone else! /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

18. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I work til 4 am sometimes and it always seems my open header cam breakins occur around 3 am. The neighbors don't mind, their houses are far enough away that they probably can't hear a thing. Last year when we were doing the frame swap we'd grind and cut and stuff all night long.

19. 99firehawk

99firehawk 1/2 ton status

"it always seems my open header cam breakins occur around 3 am"

truer words were never spoken

20. k5ntexas

k5ntexas 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Well my garage is surrounded by the cemetery so I'd have to be really loud to wake the neighbors

[/ QUOTE ]
    /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif funniest thing i've heard all day. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif