Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

how long after you go mudding do you wash your truck?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by MonsterMobile, Dec 10, 2002.

1. MonsterMobile

MonsterMobile Newbie

I went a while ago and it still is muddy. is it bad to leave it on there long or what

2. BigBluOx

BigBluOx 1/2 ton status

FWIW, I usually only wash mine when I need to work on it /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif or when the local police tell me it's unsafe /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif. Is it bad? Maybe... /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

Jon /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

3. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

I wait till it rains. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

i leave it for a week or 2, here in vegas it can be bad cuz of the heat, it'll ruin your paint after too long.

5. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

If it's really wet mud...I'd imagine it would just hold moisture against the paint-job/body. This can't be good unless you like bubbling paint/rust.
    Now having said that, does that mean I wash mud off my truck right away...heck no. I've had mud caked on my rockers/doors for weeks...I like to keep it there to show people I actually use my truck.

6. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

Sometimes weeks sometimes a few hours later, depends on how busy and lazy I am.... I just don't want it to help the rust move along any quicker

7. ben427

ben427 1/2 ton status

Wash???? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif Whats that? /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

Its easier the sooner you do it.

9. 87sm465np208

87sm465np208 1/2 ton status

i wash the under side pretty much right away, because i dont want it to rot out stuff like steel lines. or wheel wells, not like it matters, but i like to do that, sometimes i will leave the body muddy for looks, like hey, i have a 4x4 and i use it. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

10. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

I usually wash it within that day maybe 3 days max. 3 days is the longest. Its usually the same day, cause the guy who rides w/ me alot of the times, i tell him i aint taking him home till he washes my truck, the body and the chassis. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

if it has a good splatter pattern i'll leave it for weeks. it will ruin your paint after a few weeks, or you'll have to get the clear coat buffed with some fine grit to get rid of the stains. at least thats with the gumbo around here.

nathan

12. roostr3269

roostr3269 1/2 ton status

I leave for a couple days, It adds a "cool" factor to your rig. The babes dig it, hehe.

13. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

I always drive straight from the mud to the car wash or to the pressure washer at home. Mostly cause I hate havin to get under there with a frickin hammer and chisel to get it off when it drys I'll go to the car wash if I want to see the look on the attendants face when I roll in with 10,000lbs of mud on my truck. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

14. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    I'll go to the car wash if I want to see the look on the attendants face when I roll in with 10,000lbs of mud on my truck.

[/ QUOTE ] i've been turned around SO many times! /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

15. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Wash?.....that's Funny! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif
    I do blow the crud off the brakes and I do a full lube and checking of the fluids within 24 hours. I have actully washed my truck about 5 times this year and 3 of those times was because I was doing a review on some parts. I just put the hard top on a week ago. Ran it through the car wash for #4 to get the crud off the windows from sitting since aprill. Car wash was screwed up and I made them give me a refund. Went through it yesterday to even it up. Well now I have swirl marks in the mold and grime on the hard top...probably run it through the car wash a couple more times just to even it up.

16. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

Kinda depends on the mud. I have seen paint jobs ruined in a matter of hrs from mud that was real acidy. Ga clay will stain older single stage paints, my brothers Swampers were orange for a long time after he went to Ga a few yrs ago till the color finally wore out. LOL!

For cleaning underneath, get a side to side type sprinkler, ya know the ones kids seemto love to jump thru, and set it under the rig for a while and let it soak out the under side, then move it to a different place and let it go there. Pretty low impact way to clean it. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Personally, I wait till it rains. I went out this weekend and it rained that nite so that worked out good. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif Made a mess in my driveway tho.

17. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    if it has a good splatter pattern i'll leave it for weeks.

[/ QUOTE ] How bout a nice solid coating. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Back at the house. My kids slid the side windows back and I rolled the door windows down and rinsed off the windshield, so they are semi clean looking.

I took a few pics back at the house, but lost a lot of "trophy mud" /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif on the ride home. My favorite pic from Sunday

18. vdubbin86

vdubbin86 Registered Member

Mine gets washed when it rains. Then I immediately head over to a local construction site and cover it again. Looks better that way cause the mud hides all the rust. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

19. A&P

A&P Registered Member

/forums/images/graemlins/confused.gifWash? Did someone say wash? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

20. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

My truck only gets washed when it rains. I have no paint to worry about and like previously mentioned, it hides the rust. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif