Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How long are your hunting seasons?

Discussion in 'The Great Outdoors' started by HarryH3, Mar 1, 2004.

1. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

For big game hunting here in Colorado, we have to pick WHAT we want to hunt, WHERE we want to hunt it (There are over 150 different "units" or areas in the state and you can only hunt in ONE per year), and WHEN we want to hunt it (within a 1 week time window) and send in our requests in April. /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif This is so we can hunt for 1 week in the fall. Are any other states set up like this?

While it makes sure that there are never too many hunters within a given area at any one time, if the weather isn't with you then you're almost guaranteed to go home empty handed. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif My week for Elk hunting last fall turned out to have daytime highs around 70 and bright sun in an area that usually has 3-4 feet of snow on the ground at that time of year. Needless to say, the Elk, with their full winter coats, were NOT coming out of the dark timber during daylight hours as it was just too hot for them to deal with. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif Ah well, it's almost time to submit my application for next fall, so I sure hope that the weather cooperates! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. behemoth

behemoth 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
    Not long enough !!!! /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

3. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
    Not long enough !!!! /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed!

In Wisconsin, we have a 9 day gun-deer season (Saturday through Sunday, mid November)...and, I think you'll find that even with such a short season, Wisconsin still brings in the highest number of hunters and harvests of any state. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif
    Bow season for deer usually starts mid-September, goes until gun season, then starts back up after gun season and stops at the end of the year, Dec. 31st.
    In and amongst those dates, there are t-zones ("antlerless deer only" gun-deer hunts in specified zones - for herd management...those seasons are usually a 4 day weekend in late October and then one mid-December) and also a specific Muzzleloader season, which is the week after gun-deer season ends.

We really have to stop posting about hunting...all it does is make me wish it were fall right now. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

4. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

In Texas we have a hunting season open 8 months out of the year not including hogs and exoctics. Starts with doves in September and ends with turkeys in May. Archery deer season runs all of october and rifle season starts second weekend of november and runs till late January (doe season goes to Feb.) I guess what I'm getting at is, TEXAS RULES. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

5. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

the gun deer season runs from nov 15 through nov 30. but the bow season lasts like nov 1st through dec 31 i think

6. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Archery in Oregon starts last Saturday in August, lasts for a month, then starts back up in either late Nov or first week of Dec for 3 weeks. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

7. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Here in Nevada Deer season is 4- 6 weeks of pure fun. depending on what area you draw.
    The state is divided up into 29 Large areas. You put in for your area of choice by April.
    Seasons
    Elk 2-3 weeks
    Antelope 2weeks
    Bighorn sheep 1 month
    Mountain goats 2 months.
    Mountain Lion is open all year
    I love the long seasons. Gives you plenty of to to hunt and find a good animal.
    Also all bird seasons are open during big game season so oppurtunities are endless............ The fishing is great in the fall too. Some mornin's it is a tough choice weather to grab the rod or gun. The best bet is to take both /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. HarryH3

[ QUOTE ]
    I guess what I'm getting at is, TEXAS RULES.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Bwaaahaahahahahahahaaa!!! I lived in Dallas for 2 years and Houston for 8 years. Unless you happen to own a ranch, hunting in Texas costs WAY too much. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif Last I knew as decent deer lease would run you at least $1,200 per gun. Even though the season here is short I can go deer hunting for just the cost of a $23 tag and the gas to drive to the area. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Oh yeah, let us know in July, August and September how much "Texas Rules". It's too freakin' HOT there. We had the A/C running on nearly every Christmas that we lived in Houston. /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

9. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

Well I guess I'm lucky I have a ranch huh. I know how hot it gets, I've lived here all of my 17 years. I'd MUCH rather sweat than shiver so it suits me fine /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

10. behemoth

behemoth 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Oh yeah, let us know in July, August and September how much "Texas Rules". It's too freakin' HOT there. We had the A/C running on nearly every Christmas that we lived in Houston.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Dude - I hope you're joking!!! /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif My soon to be wife just landed a job in Midland and I'll probably move there later this year. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Kentucky's seasons aren't real long - bow deer starts mid-September and runs through mid-January. Modern gun is two weeks with several combinations of tags and limits - but since our deer herd is around 800K, bonus doe tags can be had for $10 and all the freezer room you have. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Muzzle loader is sandwiched in there somewhere. We have a short fall turkey season, but spring is a little longer at three weeks (I think). I'm gonna try to get out before the wedding - maybe have wild turkey at the reception (both kinds). /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Oh yeah - I almost forgot - KDFWR doubled the number of ELK tags to 40 !! AND - eliminated the buffer zone counties!! So if one of those big bulls wonders into a county that has a modern gun season (all in KY do anyway), BANG !! /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

11. Bhintz

Bhintz 1/2 ton status

deer is long about beg of sept and ends in mid jan

12. mofugly13

mofugly13 1 ton bucket of rust Premium Member

The general deer season in Californias A-Zone goes from the secons saturday in August and runs for six weeks. Ever try deer hunting in 90*+ weather? I know you Cali bos do. Every day I'm in the field I pray for rain. Blacktails come out of the woodwork during and after a good rain.

13. HarryH3

[ QUOTE ]
    Dude - I hope you're joking!!! My soon to be wife just landed a job in Midland and I'll probably move there later this year.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Sorry, no joke! Texas turns into an oven in the summer. December wasn't super hot in Houston, but when it's 78 degrees and 95% humidity, then the a/c makes the house MUCH more comfy. Be ready for some shocking electric bills. Our summer electric bills used to run in the $300-400 range to keep 3,500 square feet cool. /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

Check out the averages for Midland: http://www.weather.com/weather/climatology/monthly/USTX0888 Oh yeah, be sure to scroll down and peek at the records as well. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif Midland is pretty much desert, so be ready for dry, hot summers.

14. HarryH3

[ QUOTE ]
    deer is long about beg of sept and ends in mid jan and we take about 1.2mil a season

[/ QUOTE ]
    A buddy of mine in Florida has a lease in Georgia, over near the Alabama border. He goes up there on many weekends during the season. They usualy take 7 deer out of there every year. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

15. Bhintz

Bhintz 1/2 ton status

yea there more deer hear than you can shake a stick at especially in west ga there are some massive deer over there and a lot of them /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

16. 74beater

74beater 1/2 ton status

Damn I'm glad to a TEXAN

17. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Your telling me about alot of deer in GA- i musta saw at least 100 on 95 on my way down and up...

In a lot of ways, NYS favors archery- They give you a very long period for it.

In NYS, its broken into two zones, northern and southern.

Archery Season: (southern)
    Deer and Bear-October 15 through the day immediately preceding the opening of regular deer season, and 5 days immediately following close of the regular deer season. (October 15 - November 21, 2004 and December 15 - 19, 2004)
    Regular Season:
    Deer-First Monday after November 15 through first Tuesday after December 7. (November 22 - December 14, 2004)
    Bear/Catskills- First Saturday of regular deer season through first Tuesday after December 7. (November 27 - December 14, 2004)
    Bear/Allegany-Second Monday of regular deer season through the first Tuesday after December 7. (November 29 - December 14, 2004)
    Muzzleloading Season:
    Deer and Bear-The 7 days immediately following close of the regular deer season. (December 15 - 21, 2004)