Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How long can my engine site without turing over?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by wazzabie, Sep 10, 2005.

1. wazzabie

wazzabie 1/2 ton status Premium Member

My 350 has not turned over since I parked the K5 3 years ago. How long can it sit? It has been kept in a garage all this time? The coolent has been sitting also. I do not want the engine to seaze.

2. crazyhole812

crazyhole812 1/2 ton status

mine had sat for 3 years too. it fired right up put some light oil in the cylinders through the spark plug hole and put some fresh oil in it and it should be fine

3. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

fog it!

You can "Fog" the engine with oil by pouring some clean oil SLOWLY down the intake thru the carb..only a small amount is required!.(they sell aresol cans for this purpose at boat marina supply stores for storing outboards).--it will smoke like crazy,and it will smoke like hell after you start it next time too !(might foul a plug,but its better than a siezed motor!)..if its in a garage,it wont rust up that fast,although it CAN if its unheated and goes thru wide temparature swings..(condensation can form)...best to be safe than sorry.. :crazy:

4. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

There are really only two issues to be concerned with when an engine sits for a long time without being turned over periodically. The first is that the rings can seize up in the ring grooves of the piston and or also rust to the cylinder walls. The second is that it is very bad for valve springs to sit in one position for long durations of time such as 3 years. The springs become week and lose their tension and could break. One last thing to concern yourself with is bad fuel. Fuel starts to go bad after approximately 6 months and starts to smell like terpentine and becomes gummy and will stick a valve open and it will in turn hit a piston and bend the valve and possibly break a piston. Make sure that you drain out ALL fuel and then drop the tank and have it professionally boiled clean and sealed. I'm sure there are many people on here who won't beleive me and think it's all BS but i have seen this happen all too many times at the expense to the customer.

5. wazzabie

yikes worse case senario

6. wazzabie

I have the carb off. Would it be ok if I hook up a battery and just turn it over some?... just to get the pistons moved some?

7. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

i would turn over by hand first with oil in the cyclders first. best bet in your case. then if rolls over fine do tune up and fresh fluids .

8. wazzabie

OK How do I turn it over by hand? Have you done this before?

9. bobalob

bobalob 1/2 ton status

pop a socket on the front and give it a yank

10. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

I've found that Marvel Mystery Oil or even ATF in a pinch works to loosen things up better than motor oil.