Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How Long Can You Keep Game Frozen?

Discussion in 'The Great Outdoors' started by behemoth, Mar 5, 2004.

1. behemoth

behemoth 1/2 ton status

I have a bunch of dove and quail in the freezer from last season and the season before ('02). How long can I keep it in the freezer? It's baged up pretty tight, and the venison is fine (it doesn't last very long anyway). Right now the birds are not showing any sign of freezer burn, so I'm assuming they're ok for now. I know that, as a general rule, venison should be consumed no more than a year after processing, but I've kept meat longer - with no problems. But what about game birds? Comments? Oh yeah - it's a chest type deep freezer.

Mike

2. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

If they have been in a deep freeze and wrapped tightly with no signs of freezer burn they should be ok. I just ate some Chukar I got last season. They were good. But I have one of those seal a meal things. They are great for storing food for a long time.
    I dont know if I would eat the ones left over from 02 tho. Thats a long time to be in the freezer. Usually a year is the max for me. Maby a little longer for hunks of meat. I clean the freezer out before every hunting season.

3. potato76

potato76 1/2 ton status

my senior year in high school we ate some elk sloppy joe that my buddy got when we were sophmores or something.im still livin and havnt got sick.

4. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

im gonna start inviting myself over to dinner at your places. So many tasty exotic meats.. lol

5. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    So many tasty exotic meats..

[/ QUOTE ]

aged to perfection /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

6. behemoth

behemoth 1/2 ton status

Last Thanksgiving I cooked a very traditional dinner consisting of two pheasant marinaded in orange sause and a venison tenderloin - of course, we had the standard sweet potatoes, green bean casserole and stuffing! /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif Plus pumpkin and pecan pie!

The best part of the hunt (to me) is sharing what I've brought home. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif