Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

how long did it take?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by cochino12, Apr 3, 2004.

1. cochino12

cochino12 1/2 ton status

To install the lift on your k5? I am ready to order a 4' lift and am curious how long it should take me or if I should just take it to someone to get the lift done.

2. Tweetysuarus

Tweetysuarus 1/2 ton status

It'll take a whole afternoon if you have all the tools and jack stands and knowledge. It's ptretty straight forward though, not hard, just time consuming.
    Bill

3. K5er4Life

K5er4Life 1/2 ton status

Shouldnt take too long, if you have not done much to your truck yet it might take the better part of a day. Dont worry about it though, just go for it and do it yourself. Its much more satisfying to see what you did to your own truck. And good luck with the install, it really is quite simple. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

A good day of eating burritos and running around the shop/driveway

48" of lift might be a bit more complicated though

5. mud390

mud390 1/2 ton status

Might be a good idea to spray all the bolts that you plan to take off with some penetrating oil before hand. Maybe the night before. Something like PB Blaster, WD 40, or anything similar to those should work. Makes things a little easier. Less cussing when all is said and done.

Kris

6. Fubeca

Fubeca 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I am ready to order a 4' lift

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif Might take a bit longer if it is a true 4 feet /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

Just a little ribbing!
    These projects always take me longer than they should because I find other things that I need to fix while it is apart.

7. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    I am ready to order a 4' lift

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif Might take a bit longer if it is a true 4 feet /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I think he meant 4" /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

8. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

It took Bigyellowjimmy , Jaysbeast , and I nearly all day to lift my truck. I was however doing front springs,steering corrections, brake lines, shackle flip, swaybar disconnects , and replacing the rear rubber bushings with poly. If I did not replace the rear bushings it would of knocked a few HOURS off the install. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

about 5 hours for the rear lift (shackle flip, axle swap and brakes, and new springs and shocks and MOO x-over kit) and about 3 for the front.

Chris

10. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

BTW, I already had the d-shafts out and the the swaybar was LONG gone.

Chris

11. B_to_C

B_to_C 1/2 ton status Author

/forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

It took me 4 days to do mine /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

Ofcourse it was a New England truck so rust was a MAJOR issue in slowing every little task down...
    And this was the first thing other than an oil change i had done to my truck

12. cochino12

cochino12 1/2 ton status

yeah I guess a 4' lift would take a lot longer ha ha. I havent really had much experience with 4wd's so I'm a little hesitant to do it by myself. I suppose its just about the same as lowering a truck just doing it the opposite way sort of right?

I dont think the rear will be an issue since I am just doing a block for right now. Anyone done a tech write up for doing the spring lift on the front? any pointers or tips for me?

13. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

I think it's something you can do yourself if you have some tools. It's just basic, but time consuming. Here's a tip: Be patient if something doesn't work /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

14. FRIZZLEFRY

FRIZZLEFRY 1/2 ton status

Here is a wrightup on a 4" front lift install.

I swapped front springs (6" down to 4") in my truck this afternoon in about 30 minutes /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

15. cochino12

cochino12 1/2 ton status

Awesome that is exactly what I needed. Thanks for all the help everyone

16. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

Damn dawg, THAT'S fast! I did my front springs today in about 2 hours, solo. But I didn't swap shocks, just the springs. Just do one side at a time. Piece of cake. And soak everything with penetrating oil ahead of time. Expect to replace the bolts for the hangers too, they'll be nasty.

17. NITRO

NITRO 1/2 ton status

i got ya'll beat. 11 days and almost 100 hours to put on a 4" all spring lift, 3/4 ton axles, brake lines, 15" rims and grinding. Keep in mind it was on a rust bucket 79 K5. I did have air tools and a torch however which made it quite a bit easier.

NITRO

18. smokkey1

smokkey1 1/2 ton status

well it took me and my uncle 7 hours for the front 4" springs, steering arm, brake line, shocks and steering box brace. The next day took me and my dad about 10 hours /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif for the shackle flip, bushings and shocks. damm rivets didn't want to come off and the gas tank was an pain in the next. we did the install at my dads shop so we had plenty of tools on hand. we also used an fork lift to hold up the gas tank... tip if your going to do an shackle flip make sure the gas tank is almost empty /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

justin /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

19. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Why did it take 11 days? Did you run into alot of problems?

20. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

It took me a few days to do mine, but then again, i broke two brake lines right at the connections near the frame on the front pass side, and then the rear one right at the connection and had to reflare them and do some jimmy riggin on the rear one. The actual lift on the front i believe took me about 5-6 hours, by myself and my tools are not organized. The rear i actually could not do for an additional 4 days or so, as i had to wait for new u-bolts to arrive from Rough Country because i forgot to mention i had a 14bff on the rear and not the 10 bolt. /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif (They sent them for free) /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif
    I believe by myself if i had all the components, i could have had it done within the weekend including the few problems i encountered. This is not rushing the job either.

This may seem alittle slow to some, but when your working in a singlw car wide carport, with disorganized tools, it takes some time.
    But i got it together, thats all that counts. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif