Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How long did it take?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by stockk5, Jul 4, 2005.

1. stockk5

stockk5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

hey everyone, as of late i've been going crazy with ideas in my head for my k5, actually not to crazy plans but just what i need to do to get it to where i want it. 6" lift w/ 39.5's with 1ton rear locked/new gears and new gears up front with 8lug conversion, seems so simple until i look at the $$$ involved. How long did it take you guys to build up your truck to the level that you were finally happy with or atleast your current goal? For me it seems as if it will take atleast another year or so before i can go ahead with the plans.

2. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

You mean the truck is supposed to leave the garage? :haha:

I've been gathering parts for a few years and working on her pretty steadily for the last six months... had to lose a wife and buy a house to do it... and I still may not make BlazerFest :haha: And that's just 4", 35"s, mostly simple stuff. No lockers yet, etc.

-- A

3. stockk5

stockk5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

hahaha ok i guess i dont feel so bad now..

4. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

bought mine in 1996... still not where I want it. ;)

j

5. garlicbreath

garlicbreath 1/2 ton status

Mines getting close, 6 years later it has 37's, one tons F\R, lockers, rhinolined inside, and a built 350. Still don't like the holley truck avenger but it's way better than any other holley. And 3 years in upstate NY didn't help the timeframe at all. There is NO WHERE to wheel here.

6. resurrected_jimmy

resurrected_jimmy 1/2 ton status

I started with a burb in 96 flipped it 99, started over with a K5 in 00 and I'm not sure where I'm at now??? I haven't seen my truck in two years. Damn terrorists!!!!

Should have used a floor jack to straighten out the roof in the burb and taken a sledge hammer and sawzall to everything that was on its way off and spet the money i was saving to paint it on tube doors and a roll cage

7. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

bought my truck in 02 and i just upgrade when something breaks, wears out, or needs replacement.

blew the motor the first day i had it, put a stock rebuilt i had in the garage in it. i couldn't use the manifolds with the heads i had, so i put headers on it. th350 went out soon after that, put a 700r4 i rebuilt in. front springs were bad so i put a lift in. need tires with a lift so i bought some used 35s. tcase was stuck in 4wd, so i replaced it and clocked it. flexplate broke, so i replaced the motor ;), 700r4 went out and put a sm465 in it (had to remove clocking ring:() stock q jet was driving me nuts, so i replaced it with a GM reman qjet. couldn't stand the 3.42s with the 35s and the rear suspention needed to be replaced bad, so i put 56" springs with a shackle flip and 4.10s in it.

i have some brake booster issues, so im gonna do a hydro boost swap. plus my rear brakes don't work, so im gonna do rear disk. im happy with it now, except i need a rear locker (open sucks) other than that i see nothing else i need to change, except body parts.

8. original balzer

original balzer 1/2 ton status

i did alot of work the first few month i owned mine then i submarined it and toated the engine it has set for a year now i built the engine the way i wanted then one of those "things" happened and i had to sell the engine now i have another engine started but ended up with a good 454 and dont know witch of the 2 i want if i would just make up my mind i might get something done

balzer

9. BIG*RED

BIG*RED 1/2 ton status

hmm been a little over two years, and i think i have more to do now then when i started, thanks to an certin ex girlfriend, neighborhood kids vandalizing things. and the fact i have deen on disability for almost a year now and i can only do the "cheap and simple" things for now. it took me months to get the money for my 1tons but they are still not instaled because i don't have the funds for the remaining required(wanted) items such as 8 lug rims, disc brake kit,brake lines, drive shafts...so i think if i don't get compleatly fustrated and depressed with it..(which i'm border line right now) and sell it or drive it off a cliff..it will probably be at least another 3 or 4 years before its even remotley close to what i want..was gona rattle can it today, just for something to do, becasue it depressed me looking at it, and not being able to do anything with it, but the dang part stores were closed..so unless i decided to stay in bed all day (which i seem to be doing a lot of these days) i plan on doing the rattle can job tomorrow..if i can afford enough cans lol

10. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I'm just glad to know that it may actually be done some day. :D

11. MTMike

MTMike 1/2 ton status

I bought my '81 a year ago w/ a 12" suspension lift & 3" body lift, 3/4 ton axles, professional built 383 stroker with a Holly projection 4D Fuel Injection system, built-up TH400 trans, 205 Case, etc etc. I thought i wouldn't have to do *ANYTHING* to it after I bought it.

I was wrong.

12" lift might work good for mud, but not for trail riding. (which is what I prefer) After nearly tipping it over several times, I decided to get her down. I have been blitzing on the work and still have 6 weeks into the suspension & steering rebuild. I have my big yearly trail ride in 8 days and it's still not quite done (Though I should have her going in 3)

After that there's still a list a mile long for things to get done on it to make it what I want, including a doubler, a cage, etc.

Once a project, Always a project!

12. 86chevybanshee

86chevybanshee 1/2 ton status

it took me about 2 months to get my truck from stock 86 1/2 long bed to 4 inch, 38.5's locked 3/4 tons, and shortend, and only 2 seconds to total it

now my s10, ive been working on for about 6 months now and it probly wont be completly done till september

13. 4trolls

4trolls 1/2 ton status

I bought my 78 suburban 3/4 ton for $1,500 3 years ago ,put 39.5 Iroks on it ,3" body lift and 2" addaleafs and a loc-rite in the back . its been a great truck , it allways ends up being my DD because its such good runner. it came with a 350/sm465/205 d44 14bff & 4.10s . I'm less than $3000 into this truck and its fun .

14. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

It's been over 6 years, not there yet...another year I think...

15. JEBSR

JEBSR 1/2 ton status

never happy

I am on my 2nd engine,3rd lift setup,3rd set of rims and tires,3rd set of axles,3rd front clip,2nd frame,2nd hood design,etc.

Seems everytime I have it going good I get a wild hair up my a@@ to make it bigger I.E. better. Only problem is I hardly ever get to drive it at times. 38.5 Creepy Crawlers/11" rear 10" front 4.56's Detroit locker in rear/eaton up front/16x12 rims. This time should be good :haha: (yea right)

16. clarkjw24

clarkjw24 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Bought my 86 in 2000 for $300 sitting on blocks. Borrowed rims and tires to drive her home. The auto tranny was screwed had to manual shift it. Got it home and tuned her up. New plugs, wires, carb, and 33s on 10"rims then drove to the store to fill up with gas. On the 3 mile trip back to the house the motor let loose. Spun #7 bearing. Pulled motor, rebuilt it. $1500 later, headers, another new carb, big intake, etc. Fired her up went down the road a little ways and the tranny went bye bye. Pulled tranny, 350/np203 for rebuild. After pulling combo 9 times, I said screw it, went to the junk yard pulled same combo out of a truck that had been sitting for 10 years. Brought it home put it in, didn't change the filter, converter, or fluid, took it for a test drive. Finally rolling, I changed the filter and fluids. Bought a 6" lift and put in a set of 3/4 tons(freebies) while I was going, govloc and LS in front. Bought some used military 36's for $100. Body was crap so I swapped on an 84 desiel tub with hydroboost and 2" body lift. Was content but hated the shifter on the 203 so I bought a 205. Went wheeling a few times and realized that I had to have fuel injection and lower gears. So this past winter did the tbi swap and installed 5.13s. Somewhere along the way I lost my doors, tailgate, interior and top. Then after the first bit of body damage said to hell with fenders...they met the sawsall. Needed room for the 42 TSLs. 5 years later I've still got parts for upgrades and mods just trying to find time to put them on. I've bought and parted about 7 trucks along the way. Somehow I picked up another K5 and its my DD but I've got mods and upgrades waiting for it also <---- poor truck. It never ends.