Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How long do I energize AC 60G glowplugs???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by diesel4me, Sep 2, 2003.

1. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Just wondering how long to hold the button on when starting the 6.2 diesel(the relay is wired to a pushbutton switch),also wondering if the original controller should be unplugged when going to manual switch??.Its still hooked up as oem except for the ground wire to the switch to activate the glowplug relay.Should I leave the glowplugs on while cranking the engine--It starts preety good now that I put the new glowplugs in,but dont want to have to buy them again--68 bucks with tax at autozone!! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gifI dont want to burn em up by doing it wrong! /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gifAt least now I can drive it into the garage and start the re-plumbing of all the fuel lines and I'm going to use only 1 of the dual tanks since I dont go too far--anyone know how the dual tank switch is wired??mines missing,just a hole in the dash with wires hanging out--has anyone got a clue?? or should I just copy the wiring on one of my other trucks with single tank? /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gifI have a wiring diagram,but its so small its hardly readable! /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif.

2. azblazor

azblazor 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I don't think you will "burn out" the 60G's. If your manual switch work the way it is I would use it that way. I lite up my 60g's for about 20 seconds, longer in the winter. Just experiment, thats the nice thing about the manual setup - just lite long enought to start it.

Don't try to crank with the GP's energized, it's just too much current to draw. After it starts you can lite them for a few seconds to help the warm up.

3. azblazor

azblazor 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Crap........I turned blue!!!

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I found that if it was under 50 degrees my Jimmy would start with about 10 seconds of glow from the 60's. A little longer if it was colder and about half that if it was somewhat warm. Just experiment a little. It's pretty obvious when they haven't gotten warm enough.

As for burning them out someone mentioned the the 60's can be glowed for over 15 minutes straight without burning out.../forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif You'd prolly kill the batteries before burning them out.

Rene