Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How long do y'all wait for your oil to drain?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by afroman006, Jan 15, 2004.

1. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

How long do y\'all wait for your oil to drain?

I just changed the oil in my burb and only got like 2 1/2 quarts out. I ran it for a minute then checked and the level was at the end of "operating" on the dipstick. I let it drain for about 10 minutes then took the filter off and drained for another 5 minutes. After it just dripped for awhile I stopped. Did I not wait long enough?

2. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

Re: How long do y\'all wait for your oil to drain?

You really shouldn't have to wait very long. Probably 95% of the oil should drain out within the first minute and then it will just slow to a trickle and than a drop.

3. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

I'm probably WAY overly anal, but when I change oil, I let it drain for about 5 minutes, then put the oil pan bung back in, put 1/2 quart of the new oil in and let it sit in the pan for a sec, then drain it as well. Then, I stick the air hose in the filler and blow VERY LOW PRESSURE air through to help purge the rest of the oil sitting in the pan. I know it seems dumb, but when I do this, even the fresh oil I run through it is dark from the gunk it has picked up.

4. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

Pull the drain plug and while you wait for it to drain, check the rest of the vehicle over thoroughly. Grease what ever zirks you can find and kick all the tires and by the time you are done with that your ready to put the drain plug back in and fill it up.

5. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

there's always the ever popular beer break too /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

6. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Ahh, well I just let it drain until it stops, one two beers it don't really matter, when it stops i wipe of the oil drool, plug the pan, insert new WIX filter, wipe up my mess off the driveway,add new oil......done
    So I guess to answer you question I wait about two beers worth of time. Now during the summer I may have to wait until 3 beers only cuz I am super thirsty in ht esummer time /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

7. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I like to change the oil right after pulling in the driveway, while the oil is still hot and the all the nasty stuff suspended in it hasn't had a chance to settle out. Most of the oil comes out VERY quikcly, then probably another pint or so will slowly dribble out over the next 5 minutes or so. While it's draining I take off the old filter and fill the new one with fresh oil.

[ QUOTE ]
    I ran it for a minute then checked and the level was at the end of "operating" on the dipstick.

[/ QUOTE ]
    That's scary! Did you have oil pressure while the engine was running? Unless that engine has some serious sludge that's slowing down the oil so that it can't drain back to the pan, there should not have been anything left in the sump for the oil pump to pickup. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

8. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    I'm probably WAY overly anal, but when I change oil, I let it drain for about 5 minutes, then put the oil pan bung back in, put 1/2 quart of the new oil in and let it sit in the pan for a sec, then drain it as well. Then, I stick the air hose in the filler and blow VERY LOW PRESSURE air through to help purge the rest of the oil sitting in the pan. I know it seems dumb, but when I do this, even the fresh oil I run through it is dark from the gunk it has picked up.

[/ QUOTE ]

Then I must be SUPER ANAL /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

I generally pull the plug, let it drain while I check the rest of the vehicle over and start greasing u-joints. Install the plug after most of it drains and remove the oil filter and let it drain. I then poor as much new oil into the new filter as possible and install. I take half a quart of new oil and put it down the passenger's side valve cover, and the other half down the driver's side. Go underneath and pull plug again and let drain while I top off fluids and finish greasing front end, u-joints, etc. Reinstall the plug, finish filling and start her up, get her warm, shut off, let sit and check level.

Cheap Insurance
    Yes my friends say I am super anal...Oh well, I'm happy! /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

9. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Quote:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I ran it for a minute then checked and the level was at the end of "operating" on the dipstick.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That's scary! Did you have oil pressure while the engine was running? Unless that engine has some serious sludge that's slowing down the oil so that it can't drain back to the pan, there should not have been anything left in the sump for the oil pump to pickup.

[/ QUOTE ]

No not the "operating range" on the stick I mean the actual word "operating" lol. I'll check it again tomorow thx guys.

10. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

when you let it drain pull the dip stick out and the oil filler cap off the valve cover

11. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

same here. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifto /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

12. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I then poor as much new oil into the new filter as possible and install.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I forgot to mention that. That's a crucial step! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

13. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

i let mine drain for 5 or 10 minutes and then put in about 3/4 quart of oil in the filter(after reinstalling the pan plug) and put on and fill up the engine and dont even check the level before calling it done /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif