Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How long do you think this "bandaid" will hold?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by bogginnut, Sep 27, 2002.

1. bogginnut

bogginnut Registered Member

How long do you think this \"bandaid\" will hold?

I was at the powerlines down the road, cross ruttin with the skinny pedal to the floor, and I guess my knee bumped the shifter and put the tranny in nuetral. Well, the motor was allready wide open [305] and with no load on it, 3 of the studs that hold the lifters in pulled out enough to lose all 3 cylinders. Limped it home that night and pulled the drivers side valve cover to find the first two. Removed them and used some locktight type goop to re-install them. they held just fine. Bad weather has kept me from fooling with it until tonight. I don't have time to wait the 24 hours for the goop to set up, so I just tapped it back down and hooked it back up. I need to drive the truck for a side job tomorrow, then it's going down till I put the 60 in the front and either go big block or stroker. Think it will make about a 30 mile round trip voyage? I'm putting my new tranny in my Heep this weekend to get me around while the Jimmy is down. Sorry to be so long winded, just wanted to put as much info in there to be accurate. Thanks
    Sean

2. Butch

Butch 1/2 ton status

Re: How long do you think this \"bandaid\" will hold?

I would think that as soon as the motor gets to operating temp they will pull out again. You could drill and pin them to hold them in or tap the hole and use screw ins, but once they pull out once its game over.

3. StiffRide81

StiffRide81 Registered Member

sorry man.. but I know someone who has done the same thing.. on those old ass heads... they are going to keep pulling out.. Hurry up and buy some vortech heads.. you can get a complete pair built for around 500 bucks.. well worth the money.. performance will go through the roof.. and you wont have busted ass studs!! /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

4. bogginnut

Well, I babied it and she made the round trip. Made a connection today to get a hopped up 350 for cheap. I may try and see just how much she can take tomorrow.

5. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

Drop the pan a loosen a couple of rod bolts. Then put a brick on the gas pedel and see what that does. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif That will be a good fix for your 305. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

6. bogginnut

Nah, I've got a sweet little mudhole in a field 100 yards from the house that my Jimmy won't make it thru. I'm gonna get it stuck, then stand on it till she blows. I'll have my wife take some pics and try and post em. Then I'll drag it home with my Yota. Sean

7. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Pics pics pics !!!!!!

8. 78K5395MT

78K5395MT Registered Member

I would have so much fun doing that

that's right i already did it!! except i wasn't trying to break my engine /forums/images/icons/frown.gif oh well, now i get to spend 1800 on a brand new 350 /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

9. RedDwarf

RedDwarf 1/2 ton status

They do make retrofit screw in rocker studs. All you do is tap the hole and thread them in with Loc Tite. 7/16"-16, and you don't even need a bottoming tap (I found that out after having bought one special). These are made by Dorman and I got mine at the machine shop for a little over a buck.

10. bogginnut

I haven't killed it yet. No time. Spent all day swapping trannies in my Heep. When I do it, I'll for sure get pics and post em. I'll probably blow something in the 10 bolt before the motor though. It really doesn't matter, as they are both coming out eventually. I could get more for the 10 bolt if it's in one piece, but I won't loose any sleep over breaking it. Sean

11. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

Make sure and get pictures of the engine carnage too!

12. monte0172

monte0172 1/2 ton status

They do make a screw in kit just for that situation that i have used in the past and it works rather well. you just have to be sure that you tap the holes straight otherwise your rockers will be crooked!! made that mistake too. But always remember its always better to drive a blazer than to look at it broke in the driveway with no engine to drop in in a moments notice.