Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

how long does a 6.2l last(miles)

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by DesertDueler, Aug 20, 2004.

1. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

I am going to look at one that has 200K on it, how long do they usually last?

Dan

2. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

Like any other engine, depends on the maintenece. I have seen several well maintened 6.2's in the 300K range for mileage... and I have seen a few that never saw 100K.

3. DesertDueler

Yea, I was worried that 200k was it for the 6.2s, but you are making me feel better. I got 201K miles out of the original 350 in my 87, so hopefully if I get this, 300K is possible.

Dan

4. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

One of the big things that I learned about 6.2's (and I think 6.5's) is that they also use a "stretch to fit" head bolt. So if you ever take the heads off, get new bolts. They are a one time use only application and this caused alot of problems w/ people replacing head gaskets and then reusing the head bolts, to only have more head gasket problems because the bolts would not stay torqued. This is what I heard from a friend who works at a diesel performance shop...

5. DesertDueler

Thanks for the info

Dan

6. Drey

Drey 3/4 ton status

The one in my GMC has 250 or 350 thousand im not sure because the tach doesnt say. Either way it is knocking like a son of a bitch, im just gonna run it till it blows up. The 6.2 i have in my Scottsdale(old C10 with blown 700R4) has 174000 that truck runs like its brand new with the exception of the blown tranny. Like they said above it all depends how they are treated.

7. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Mine has 223,000 on it. Runs beautiful, 35 psi oil pressure at idle (65-70 psi on the freeway) and no noises it shouldn't have.

Have a good look at the harmonic balancer on any you look at. If the rubber is starting to squeeze out it's time it got replaced...that's a big cause of broken cranks. Mine is gonna get replaced very soon (I should have done it months ago.../forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif)

Religious oil changes help a lot too.

Other than that it shouldn't be a big deal to get 300K out of a 6.2 IMO.

rene

8. DesertDueler

Well the one I looked at was turboed, and it didnt sound happy. It have injector noise, and some other noise, like maybe a bottom end. It also was blowing smoke out of the breather at idle(rings?). I passed on it.

Dan