Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How long does it take to change a chain in a 203?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by y5mgisi, Jan 18, 2004.

1. y5mgisi

y5mgisi 1 ton status

How long does it take to change a chain in a 203 (including removel and puting the t-case back in the truck)? I have never done this before but have a good idea of what im getting into (i think) Also my partner is a mechanic for a living, but he too has neveer done a cahin in a t-case. /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

2. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

hardest part is putting needle bearings back in, and also loosening up the output yoke nuts, other than that its easy to disassemble a 203, dont forget to puinch out the shift fork roll pin so the range case can come off the chain case, you can have a 203 all apart in about 30 minutes if you have all tools ready to go

3. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Yep, Like Randy says, not horrible if you have good tools and can be done in the truck in a afternoon as long as you have everything ready and don't have any unexpected problems.
    It's a little tricky getting the roll pin out in the truck. Lowering the ase a little helps and only need to unbolt the crossmember from frame and lower it about 3 inches.
    http://www.coloradok5.com/milemarkerpt.shtml will help you.

There is two sets of rollers. The 24 are no big deal you just need to use some grease to hold them in. The top chain gear rides on 122. DON'T Let it slip. Put a radiator clamp on the output shaft as soon as you get the tail cone assembly off.