Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How long does it take to install fenders?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Skigirl, Jan 11, 2003.

1. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

Scenerio: You've never replaced a front outer fender. It's a 76 K5. You need to remove the existing and put on new aftermarket ones, not OEM, but they fit pretty well.

How long does it take (from those who've done it)?

2. 85HeartBurb

85HeartBurb 1/2 ton status

took me about 45 min and a BFH!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

3. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

SORRY FOR THE CAPS BUT THE ALT BUTTON IS STUCK ON THE KEYBOARD WHEN I HOLD THE SHIFT KEY IT OVERRIDES THAT....AND THE LETTER AFTER L DOESNT WORK....

FIRST OFF IF THIS IS ORIGINAL CHANCES ARE THE INNER FENDER BOLTS ARE RUSTED TO THE FENDERS THIS IS GOING TO INCREASE THE AOUNT OF TIE IT TAKES...

SECOND,,YOU SAY ITS NOT A G PART...THATS GOInG TO TAKE EVEN LONGER.....G PARTS BOLT ON WITH NO WORRIES OF IT NOT LINING UP CORRECTLY YOUR PROBABLY GOING TO RUN INTO SOE PROBLES WITH THE BOLT HOLES....

WHEN WE DID INE WE PUT THE INNERS AND OUTTERS ALONG WITH THE RADIATOR SUPPORT TOGETHER ON TEH GROUND, AND THEN PUT IT IN ONE PIECE...IT TOOK US ABOUT AN HOUR ONCE THE OLD ONES WERE REOVED...AGAIN THE PROBLE WAS RUST..

SORRY FOR THE SCREWED UP POST, I TRYING TO FIX THE KEYBOARD...NOT HAVING THE LETTER AFTER L SUCKS!

BRANDY

4. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the data. How long did it take you to get the old ones out?

5. chulisohombre

chulisohombre 1/2 ton status

i got a 72 blazer and it only took me 20 minutes to get mine off.wasnt too bad actually.a day before you do it spray the bolts with some kind of penatrating oil to get some of the rust away from the bolts.mine had about 20 holding it on.im not sure about how many later blazers have but im guessing its about the same

6. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

taking the old ones off was easy- all we did was unbolt them from the "cab"..and un bolted the hood hinges.then took it off again in 1 piece. Not have to worry about reusing any of the bolts, nuts washers etc.. either saved time. I think the most time consuming part was getting those huge bolts out that hold the radiator support in- we actually ended up snapping two craftsman sockets...we had started with those first, then after that, we soaked them with liquid wrench,,,undid the others, and messed around with some other stuff....

Are you reusing the inner fenders? ...What took us longer was making sure we didn't scratch anything...the panels were primered, and seam sealed...and I didn't want to mess any of it up...

good luck!
    Brandy
    PS my keyboard is fixed- the kids must have spilt something..UUGGHH

7. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

Kids... spill machines.

Have new inners. I'd removed the old inners a few times, so easy to get those out. I'm going to durabak the inners and outers once all is done. Actually Durabaking the whole truck. Couldn't stand to have new paint all scratched up.

So, from what I've read of your posts and the others, 2-3 hours for inners and outers would about cover it, yes?

8. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

I'd say 2-3 hours is plenty of time. Your best bet it to soak the bolts before you start with some liquid wrench stuff. That makes it a lot easier. I did notice that removing the washer fluid resivour and the battery tray was easier than I had anticipated- must have been the extra rust!

I don't think it was the kids- they have there own computer...I was just blaming them /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I'm thinking of having the rhino done on the outside of mine- probably up about 6 inches...then painted the rest. I'd love to have the entire underside of the cab etc.. done with rhino...all my new floors would probably feel better with some coverage. Regular "oil undercoating" just doesn't cut it!

Brandy

9. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

You could get the whole fromt of the truck off as one peice faster than you can get a fender off. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif
    There is a BUNCH of hidden bolts that are hard to get at up along where it meets the front on the 73-80 trucks. Pull the headlight trim and there is some hid up behind that all the way up in the top corner of the fender. I had to pull the grill and use a long extension to get at that one. there is one behind the turnsignal. There is one that''s and absolute pain to get at up under the the front fill pannel. Then a whole row of them under the hood down the front. If this is a driverside there is not the provision to hold the washer fluid tank on most of the aftermarket fenders.
    Go out there and prey none of the captive nuts break free for atleast a week before attempting this. Get indian Shamen, Budest monks, the pope, Lenny from Motor Head, J.R. Bob Dobbs, Jerry Faldwell, Jesse Helms, Jesse Jackson, Reverand Al Shaprton, the works out there.
    I had one that I could not get to the back of come free and I had to pull the fender out till it bent the inside out so I could get a sawzall in there to cut it off.