Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How long does it take to remove a 700R4?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Pookster, Apr 2, 2007.

1. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

im trying to gauge whether I can do this myself.

Vehicle: 1983 burb 6.2/700R4 2wd

So, I figure a nice 30 min to jack things up nice and good. I figure 2ish feet in the front, and feet in the rear.

Then another nice 30 min to remove the rear drive shaft...

10 minutes to drain the fluid and what not...

Then what? How much longer from there?
    Disconnect cables and so on, but I have no idea how many bolts/ what else needs to be done...

estimated time?

2. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

you gatta disconnect the shift linkage, speedo (5mins). take off the cross-member (10min). then take the 6bolts out of the housing (that will take the most time, because 4 are easy to get to, 2 are a PITA up top) will all of them out you will be able to pull the tranny out. its not hard to take out, youll be fine. just make sure you have something that can manage the weight, jacks are your friend :)

3. 76zimmer

76zimmer Flyin Rat Premium Member GMOTM Winner

IF things come apart good, an hour or so. A simple rule of thumb before disconnecting the bellhousing, is to mentally go over the trans from one side to the other as if it were sitting on the garage floor, and look that everything is diconnected. And don't forget the torque conv. bolts.

4. Jason4x4

Jason4x4 1/2 ton status

also the tranny cooler lines.

5. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

torque converter bolts? I'll have to find some diagrams.

I was going through the haynes manual- 35 ft lbs for the bell housing to engine bolts?

6. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I can have the 700R4 out of my 4x4 blazer in about 45 minutes. Then again, i don't have to worry about jacking anything up either. I'm also not working in snow. This is of course using air tools.

7. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I have swapped mine in a driveway in less then 5 hours start to finish in a driveway in 115* heat. It would have taken less time but the concrete was scorching hot so we had to keep the garden hose going under the truck. This made life a bitch since water + tranny fluid is about as slippery as ice.

8. Russell

Russell LB7 Tahoe Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Takes me about 30 - 45 minutes to drop a tranny, and about an hour to an hour and a half to install one afterwards, faster if the truck has a removable floor hump...

9. vortec

vortec 1/2 ton status

yes, you can.

leave it low so the jack can reach, and it's easier to work with, imo. after you have it out, you may need to lift the vehicle higher to slide the tranny out from under it.

if this takes more than a few minutes, something is wrong. unbolt the straps that retain the rear u-joint, give it a light tap with a rubber mallet if you have to, and it will pop right off. then, you just pull the slip yoke out and

varies. i'd plan more time for draining. when i take my time, i don't spend the rest of the job wallowing in fluids.

my advice, don't worry so much about time. some wierd problem will almost always pop up and need some out-of-the-box thinking to work out. i concern myself with doing a job right, not fast. that's just me.

mark everything you can before you pull it. linkage positions, driveshaft position, everything that might make a difference. i even keep track of what bolt was in each position on the bell-housing. and yes, the top ones are a huge pain. i for my engine swap, i couldn't get my hand up to the top bolt on the passenger side, so i used about 4 feet on socket extension, fed the socket onto the bolt, and actually had the wrench behind the transfer case crossmember.

the exhaust may or may not be an issue. it depends on how it's routed.

remember to remove all of the torque converter bolts. i've heard there are 4 bolts in the case of deisels. mine is behind a 350 and uses 3.

some strong rope or ratchet tie-downs slung between the framerails can make a good safety net in case the thing falls.

10. Col_Sanders

Col_Sanders 3/4 ton status

If you have a Harbor Freight nearby you can pick up a tranny jack for about $60. Its a lot more stable than sitting it on a floor jack with a piece of wood or something.

11. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

Ive been doing that exact job for about 8 months now. I guess I'm kinda slow.

12. MuddinManny

MuddinManny Banned

How long does it take to remove a 700R4?

[​IMG]

1...2....3...crunch! 3!

13. vortec

vortec 1/2 ton status

mr. owl said he never made it without biting. an owl that can bit through aluminum and steel scares the crap out of me!:yikes: :haha:

14. danny7139

danny7139 1/2 ton status

Did it 4 times the past 3 weeks, got it down to about 60 mins to drop everything, this included a transfer case and front driveshaft parts. Also the removable tranny hump helped alot with the 2 top bolts. I did it in this order. Front driveshaft, rear drive shaft, fluids, transfer case, linkage, dip stick, tv cable, cooler lines, electric, cross member and finally bellhousing bolts. Also its up to you but you don't have to support the rear of the engine with jackstands while the tranny is out, it depends on how you feel about it though.

15. SLOK5

SLOK5 1/2 ton status

Well if you ask AVERY, It takes a just over a week, 86 post, 6 phone calls, visit AAMCO, 34 more post, get you Dad involved, few more post, Dad finds shop and gets it started, couple more post, and maybe ready in 10days .... not counting time to order hard parts ............. :rolleyes: