Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How long does it take to take a top off?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by four50four, Jun 23, 2000.

1. four50four

four50four Registered Member

Hey, in trying to convince my dad to take the top off (actually let ME take the top off) he says it will take like four hours and that it weighs a ton. I really have no comeback to this as I've never done this before, so, how long does it take, and how heavy is the thing?

Keith

2. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

dunno what year your blazer is but i have an 83 and it takes about 20 minutes. take off the bolts on the top rail. there are two more underneath. DO NOT FORGET THESE. unplug your wires and pop a corner and lift gently so as to not to tear the seal. 409 helps loosen the seal. the top isnt really very heavy my wife helps me take mine off. find a place to set it down and your there. good luck
    creepin and crawlin
    Jim

3. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

15 min. and one buddy and thats with a full convertable top!!
    Tell pops he needs to ride with the top off to get him to feel FREEEEEE.....[​IMG]
    Goood Luck

Rock ON![​IMG] 72 K5 [​IMG] Led Zeppelin
    http://burt4x4.coloradok5.com

4. BigBurban

BigBurban 1/2 ton status

Usually takes me about two seconds if it's one of those front latching kind... Those rear latching one's with 3 or more hooks can give me trouble sometimes though. [​IMG]

<font color=blue>~BigBurban</font color=blue>
    [​IMG]

5. Eric

Eric Registered Member

Took me and a friend about 45 minutes, was not that heavy. Only reason I needed a friend was because the weight is awkward, didn't want it slip off a side. Don't forget those two rear bolts.

Can't beat going topless!

One eyed super fly- watch out!
    86 K5 Blazer

6. Hayduke

Hayduke 1/2 ton status

15 mins. today, just finished building a rack in the yard and all i do is back up to it and un-bolt the topper, lift it up and "turtle" it onto the rack. don't forget those two hidden rear bolts, open the side panels in the rear and you will be able to get at them.... one on each side.
    TAKE IT OFF!
    HAYDUKE

http://haydukesk5.coloradok5.com

7. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

LOL @ BigBurban, you're crackin me up dude. Yeah I second the vote for the front closure ones. [​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]
    Durant, Ok
    '79 Blazer in progress

8. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

I've never taken the top off, so do I have to unscrew the two hidden bolts or can you just lift it off of them like studs?

YEEEEE HAWWWWW[​IMG]

9. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

those HAVE to be unscrewed.

10. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

I dont know about the newer trucks (those with horizontal side marker lites) but on my '78 Blazer and my '80 Jimmy there are 5 bolts on each bed rail, 6 at the back of the 1/2 cab, and 2 screws over a cover for the dome lite plug. The only thing that mounts inside the trim panels are two locating studs, they do not need to be removed. With the rack I have under my deck and an air ratchet I can have mine off or on in less than 40 mins. with out anyone helping. Unless something is different on the newwer trucks I have no idea why you want to take off the locating studs. When you put the top back on these are what helps to line everything up. Also, all the bolts mount into floating nut plates, so have a scribe handy to line things up when you put the top back on. One last note, start all the bolts first, then tighten the ones at the 1/2 cab, last do the ones on the bed rails. If you have more ?'s write back, Jim

BigJBear '80 GMC

11. 72Blazerod

72Blazerod 1/2 ton status

Oh man, I really think your dad doesn't want the top off. I bought my 72 (full top) and had the top off within 4 days. My top is heavy (it works best with 3 guys) but even then it only took about 15-20 mins. My bestfriend has a '91 and it only takes 15 mins (or less) to get it off and it only takes two guys. You should have no problem taking it off in less than half an hour.

72Blazerod

12. nyyef

nyyef 1/2 ton status

as far as the farmost rear nuts, i dont have those nuts. i just thought they were for lining it all up. never questioned it b/c the seals never leaked. it saves removing the panels.
    these damn floating nuts, they sit in a little box were they spun. i have welded them in place now.
    20 min to take mine off with a buddy.

Knife.

13. bart

bart Registered Member

I've got an '84 and I took my top off alone in 20 minutes..and that included figuring a way out to do it and getting all the tools...I'm lucky...the big old doghouse (somewhat flat roof) that the former occupants had built (it's big) is just the right height for my blazer...I took two 2x4x8's and drilled a hole in each end...spaced for the width of my blazer's bed rails...then I took all the bolts out of the top (including the two "hidden" ones...although mine doesn't have any interior panels...and lifted the top with my back while standing inside the truck. I stuck a 2x4 in the front and back, and tightened the bolts to the top just snug....I was then able to lift the top with my back while under it and move it to the side to get it off the blazer. Then, I had set it down and got "outside" of the top...lifted and slid it completely onto the top of the doghouse.

The real fun part came when I just got back home about 3 minutes before a huge storm broke...I had a tarp but wanted to get the darn topper on instead...I got it set on the back just when the rain started...real hard. and of course, the garage is filled with stuff..So, I got the top off in 20 minutes, but got it back on in under 4 minutes..this only included three bolts..

14. bigjbear

Can anyone tell me why you guys are taking off the alignment pins? It realy has got me wondering if there was a change after the '80 model year. Anyone with an '81-up Blazer with the top off in the Marietta, Ga area want to let me take a look. Jim.

BigJBear '80 GMC

15. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

On my '90, there are bolts (one on the left rear corner and one of the right rear corner) which bolt to the topper from underneath. These are not the alignment pins as they are a separate piece. On mine, they required that the inner panels be removed to access the bolt heads. Once I had them out, I did not put them back on when I put the top on.

16. MICHIGAN BLAZER

MICHIGAN BLAZER 1/2 ton status

Hey Big 'Burban....love your little tach.....8-9,000 huh?......sounds like quite the white knuckler in a burban!!!lol

<font color=red>MICHIGAN BLAZER
    <font color=green>89 Fullsize Blazer
    87 Cherokee
    65 IH Scout

17. Yeah, he's right, on the newer models, there are bolts and alignment pins. Mine is a 90 also and has both. I don't know what year they started it though.

18. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

My 85 had em... not any more tho!

Mike

<font color=blue>Thumper
    85 Fullsize Jimmy
    [​IMG]
    <font color=red>Lets Go Wheelin! </font color=red>

19. bigjbear

Learn something new every day. That sounds like a real PITA. I'm glad the older ones dont have them. Probaly changed in '81 alot of little stuff did. Anyone know for sure? Jim.

BigJBear '80 GMC

20. 70jimmy

70jimmy 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Released from Pueblo, told I belong in Southpark
    borrow the truck for some reason and have 3 friends there to help so it doesnt get dropped on the body and make nasty scratches. if that happens the top will never be off. I have scratched 2 blazers trying to be heman. Take the top off and then go take him for a ride. Definately use the 409 or soap water or something for the seals. He wont have a problem with the top coming off again. You might also try to convice him he needs a soft top for summer. Good luck.