Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How long does shocks last?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by UseYourBlinker, Sep 20, 2000.

1. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

I have had my lift for about 3 years now,and was wondering when do I have to change the shocks?

2. Executioner

Executioner 1/2 ton status

Temp. Ft. Walton Beach Fl. home=Tucson, Az.
    Your milage will vary, the good ol boy way to check is, to replace them every few years if they are on a daily
    driver. Other wise trade them in on a new model every other year. Also if they are filled with oil(most are) look
    at the seals and if they leak oil after you clean them, then most likely they need to be replaced.
    The above is my opinion only, your results maybe different.
    Good luck

3. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

Yeah the Blazer is a daily driver...I will try that oil seal test,to see if they leak.....Thanks alot

4. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

If you're not lazy, remove them and test each one to see how much resistance they still have left by compressing and expanding them with your hands. If one is too weak or had sudden weak points, it's time for a change.

If you don't want to remove the shocks, just remove one end and test them under your truck.

<font color=blue>//////
    http://blazer79.coloradok5.com
    </font color=blue>[​IMG]

5. Executioner

Executioner 1/2 ton status

Temp. Ft. Walton Beach Fl. home=Tucson, Az.
    Will this test work for the one under pressure(i.e. Rancho 5000's, or 9000's) ?
    Thanks alot

6. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

I don't know about the 9000s, but the 5000 steering stabilizer I just got didn't feel like it was under pressure. It was simply hard to extend or compress.

I have the Edelbrock IAS and those really are under pressure. They are always pushing to be extended with about 50lbs of pressure.

I've never seen a bad under-pressure shock, but I guess they simply stop pushing, so I guess this test will work for them as well.

There's another simple test. You simply try to rock each corner of the vehicle. If one corner keeps rocking after you stop pushing it, the shock in that corner is ba (or too soft for your vehicle).

<font color=blue>//////
    http://blazer79.coloradok5.com
    </font color=blue>[​IMG]

7. K5 NUTT

K5 NUTT 1/2 ton status

Good question...and since i sat thru an hour long class put on at the shop by Monroe here are some ideas...

One...the obvious...signs of leakage. Two...drive the vehicle for 15 miles in different terrain...ie: lumpy city streets and smooth highways...then feel the body of each shock and compare the tempature to that of the frame....a shock that is dead will not generate any heat as the internal valving is not working. And this method is the simplest of all...plus it came straight from the manufacturer! I use a heat gun at work but your hand can feel hot or cold also!

AZBLAZER

1979 K5
    1976 K5 Chalet
    1972 K10 Suburban

8. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

Steering stabilizers are not supposed to be pressurized! That is what differentiates them from shocks when the mounting features are similar. Think about it: If you had a single-stabilizer setup with a pressurized unit, the truck would always be pushed a little bit to the left and you would have to hold the steering wheel to keep it from drifting out of your lane on the highway. Now if you had two seperate stabilizers (not a dual unit one) with one on each end of the tie rod, you could make pressurized shocks work as long as the two units wore evenly.

'85 JIMMY
    '90 paint/grill/trim 5"susp 33/12.5/16.5
    Fresh 350 B&M '87 TH700

9. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

The Rancho 5000's are not pressurized.

Rene

[​IMG]