Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How long IS it?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Capman2k, Dec 2, 2002.

1. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

Just curious, how long is an 87 Crew Cab?? I got one I'm hopefully going to get... Just need $1250 and he'll hold it till I get the other half.. it's an 87 diesel. It's painted a cool blue, however it's a very cheap looking paint job and all the badges and stuff are blue... and the wheels were painted white and there was some overspray onto the tires... but it's alright... Just needs a bit of work, I don't plan on driving it more than a couple hundred miles a month if that. Just want something to haul parts for my Explorer in, or something to drive around just for the heck of it, and something for camping... and moving if I ever leave my parent's house...

2. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

The wheelbase is 164.5" and the body will be approx 18' long. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

3. GMslave

GMslave 1/2 ton status

I've had this idear for awhile, take a crew cab and stick it on a standard longbed frame, and bob the bed. You may have to radius the rear doors a little, but I'm pretty sure it would work. You could get a little fiberglass topper for the bobbed bed and have yourself your very own H2 (sort of).

4. nvrenuf

5. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

That is sweeeeeet /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

What did he use for a bed? - chop the front portion of the original bed off?

6. nvrenuf

Yeah, he chopped the front of his original lwb bed. It's a sweet truck!

7. GMslave

GMslave 1/2 ton status

Yeah, that's exactly what I was thinking of. I'd bet a K5 top would fit right on there.

8. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    I know a guy that put a 3+3 cab on a lwb frame.

[/ QUOTE ]

That brings up something else which sparked my curiosity... What does 3+3 MEAN anyway???

9. nvrenuf

The truck seats 3 adults comfortably in both the front and rear seats, hence 3+3. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

That makes sense... However if it matters I'd be making mine a 2+3 to make room for cup holders /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

11. 88jimmyoungowner

88jimmyoungowner 1/2 ton status

has anyone ever tought of putting a crew cab bed onto a swb or blazer frame, or will this not work at all? i was thinking of that as an idea for our 81, way down the road, as the body is all rust and bondo. would this work?

12. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

I think that'd look pretty cool.. but looking at the photos of that yellow thang, it looks like you'd have to do some major altering of the cab... The back of the cab on the yeller thing is pretty close to the rear wheels, so you'd prolly have to make some wheel wells... or something...

13. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> I've wanted to do that for awhile now. I've seen one truck that had it done, it had wheelwells fabbed into the back of the cab and the doors were cut. Looked pretty cool but the bed was so short that it was pretty useless. Do that and bob the back of the bed too and you'd have like a 1.5' bed. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif </font color>

14. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

And I my friends was lucky enough to see this truck up close and personal and ride in it. If ya ever get the chance to meet Teddy aka 73k20 he is one hell of a good guy. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif I actually drove down to a mud bog to ride along with him in his beast. Specs on the truck are 44" swampers front, boggers rear, 12 1/2" of lift 14ff rear was a D44 up front not sure if he got a 60 under it yet or not. The truck swap was nice, if i remember right he didnt just swap a 3 + 3 cab on he grafted the rear onto his original cab. Either way the job is clean and the shortening of teh rear bed is clean. Sweet truck overall. If you look around on his webshots the original LWB truck got him readers ride of the year and cover truck one month on 4WD mag. /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif