Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How long is legal in most states?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by botboy, Dec 28, 2006.

1. botboy

botboy 1/2 ton status

I just picked up an '80 Chev 3+3 C30 (though that's going to change very, very soon).

A guy in town has a real real nice 80's K30, single cab, with a 14' or so bed behind it, dovetail'ed with ramps...could probably haul a descent SWB pickup on that flatbed. I'd love to buy the truck, and throw the flatbed behind my sixpack cab, but, well, he wants a whopping EIGHT GRAND for the truck...with 120k!

So I'm thinking about building one like it myself. I still have a bunch of steel left over from building a flatbed car trailer (5 sticks of 2x4" rect. tubing, 1/4" wall). I'm curious, if I were to go out of MN to pick up a car - for sake of argument, say any state in the midwest - how long of a flatbed can I put behind this thing, and still be legal?

Thanks!

2. gmc4cw

gmc4cw 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

legal is a cloudy area. some roads won't let you on over a certain length. 28' is the cutoff on the road I grew up on. I have sold box trucks that were much longer then that though. just can't go down certain roads. in this state 53' is the longest trailer you can pull.

3. bowtiepower00

bowtiepower00 1/2 ton status

I think it's safe to say that you can make it as long as you feel comfortable with, I don't think any coppers will hassle you in a 1 ton size rig, assuming it looks ok and runs decent. I see crew cab class 6-8 landscape trucks that carry backhoes on their flatbeds all of the time. Those are significantly longer than you'll be. You may need a lotta room to manuver it if you get it too long.