Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How long should a 350/350 swap take?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by zakk, Mar 25, 2002.

1. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

The 400 and existing 350 are shot. New ones should be forth-coming. My question is how long will the swap take? The plan is to have the assembled engine/tranny combo ready to slam in once the old combo is out. Everything but the brackets and pulleys will be on the new engine before we even start.

I have a friend that is helping me do it that says we can do in in one day. Got a shop, air tools, etc. to make it as east as possible, but it has to run on Monday.

2. LA Bogger

LA Bogger 1/2 ton status

I would say a good day unless beer is involved then it might take a weekend!!! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Eat More Mud!!!

3. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

Start on Friday night. If you and your friend know what your doing you'll be running by Sat. afternoon. I have done a swap in a day w/out air tools, by myself.

4. Sparky

Sparky 1/2 ton status

San Antonio(summer) Texas A and M (school year)
    Depends on alot of stuff. For somebody well experienced in moter swaps in a shop with everything they could possibly need probably 4 to 5 hours. I am guessing i could do it in a day in my driveway (10 hours or so) if i was lucky.

5. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

I would say a good day unless beer is involved then it might take a weekend!!!

<hr></blockquote>

better plan on a Sat/Sun deal then! /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

6. SAVAGE1

SAVAGE1 1/2 ton status

I just went through this a couple weekends ago. Just make sure you have everything. I wasted a lot of time running to the parts store. If you plan on putting the engine in with the tranny hooked up, you will have to remove the radiator support. Good to hear you're gonna have a fresh powerplant in the beast! Can't wait to see it.

7. solowookie

solowookie 1/2 ton status

no need to pull the radiator support you can use a leveler instead. I pulled, and installed, and 350 / 700r4 by just taking the hood off.

8. Zepplin

Zepplin 1/2 ton status

This past weekend I just pulled out a 350 and the completer TH350/NP203. It took me and friend about 2 hours to pull everything out. We only had hand tools, jacks and a cherry picker.

9. Zepplin

Zepplin 1/2 ton status

This past weekend I just pulled out a 350 and the complete TH350/NP203. It took me and friend about 2 hours to pull everything out. We only had hand tools, jacks and a cherry picker.

10. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

i don't have a leveler, but i was thinking of getting a new radiator anyway. If i am gonna have the whole damn thing apart, might as well do it once right and be done with it. I am going with the Goodwrench 350 (260hp/305 torque) and with the Performer intake, headers, free flowing exhaust, no cats, custom HEI and Q-Jet, i think i will be putting out about 275 horses easily at the flywheel.

That is plenty for me, I don't have visions of "The Fast and the Furious" in my 1-ton/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

11. solowookie

well it isn't just the radiator, but the entire front clip that will have to be removed I believe. a leveler is around $100 new so you could probably rent one, or borrow one for dirt cheap. (just a thought)

12. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

how does the leveler work? never heard of it. some tips would be apprecaited/forums/images/icons/smile.gif

13. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

It only took me about a month to put in a th350 and 203... HEHEHEE there was a lot of beer involved.../forums/images/icons/wink.gif

14. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

sounds like you just had an IV hooked up to your keg-o-rator/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

15. solowookie

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.vtengineering.com/ck5/leveler.jpg>Well here is a picture</a> of the leveler for you, but that principal is very basic; you have to remove the radiator anyway, but removing the front clip is a lot more work.

basically in order to pull the engine and tranny together you have to get it going a little more vertice, but as front of the engine clears the front of the truck you have to begin slowly leveling the engine and tranny out - the futher the engine clears the more horizontal it needs to go in order to clear the tranny.

you turn the handle, and it bascially changes the weight distribution so that it will either make the engine and tranny level, or put in on an angle.

tell ya what this is a LOT easier then pulling the front clip.

(p.s. don't look at how dirty my shop is I need to clean it as soon as I get the engine in my k5... /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif/forums/images/icons/blush.gif)

16. bklynlifted

bklynlifted 1/2 ton status

a leveler is nice to have but a cumalong will do a real good job my2c

17. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

thanks for the pic and discription. Will a Kragen's type place have them for rent? guess i'll give a call tomorrow...

thanks Jeff!

18. solowookie

well I did an engine &amp; tranny by myself, and it was my first time I'd ever pulled, or installed an engine. it was a piece of cake with the leveler so if I could do it then I'm sure somebody that halfway knew what was going on could make it look even easier.

hope your able to find one. I purchased mine from summit racing cuz I live in an area that is to isolated to rent one.

19. gokartergo

gokartergo 3/4 ton status Staff Member Moderator

United rentals and A-1 toolshed rent them...Dan

20. SAVAGE1

SAVAGE1 1/2 ton status

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

no need to pull the radiator support you can use a leveler instead. I pulled, and installed, and 350 / 700r4 by just taking the hood off.

<hr></blockquote>

I still think Zakk needs to take off the rad support (not that hard) because he's running 39.5's on a 6" lift. Unless he's got a big a$$ cherry picker.