Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How long should a set of brake pads last?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 90K5, Sep 29, 2001.

1. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

Put some brake pads on the beast at about 134K, and now its about 146, and its sounding bad, like the pads are completely gone...and the shoes are doing the stopping...obviously this has something to do with driving style, but I don't really use my brakes enough to make the pads wear down that quickly...

90K5

2. dragricinMT

dragricinMT 1/2 ton status

There's different grades of pads. If you bought the low end they don't last as long as the top end. What did you pay for this set?

78-K5 4"Lift 35"Tires 400SB TH350 NP205
    73 Vega 350SB TH350

3. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

I dont know, had them put on at Midas, gonna do these myslef though...any thought on whcih ones will last longer and not wear out the rotors?

90K5

4. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

It's not really how much you use the brakes, it's how hard you mash the pedal down when you stop the beast!!!![​IMG] Keep in mind that you're stopping a powerful 5000lb+ truck. On that note, my rotors were just replaced at 135k, and I've done the front pads twice in the last 60k. I've only had to do the rear shoes once, and that was because my rear axle seals blew when I first bought the truck - the previous owner had never once used the E-brake and when I engaged it, the shoes locked up and blam!!!!, the seals went.

I'd imagine that if you're running larger tires it could take it's toll on the stock brake setup in a hurry!!!!

<font color=blue> WE WILL NEVER SURRENDER<font color=blue>

5. dragricinMT

dragricinMT 1/2 ton status

The pads you have are probably low end. I am running a set of top end pads from NAPA and they work well. The top end pads are made to last longer and supposedly with shorter rotor life. I can say that the low end does not last as long as they should.IMO. I put new rotors on at the same time as pads and they look great. Run the good pads, the rotor wear should be so minimal as to not worry about.

78-K5 4"Lift 35"Tires 400SB TH350 NP205
    73 Vega 350SB TH350

6. ken

ken 1/2 ton status

I have the original front pads on my '88 dually crewcab. Its got 60,000 miles on it (I'm the original owner) and all those miles have been towing, or with a heavy camper (cause who could afford to drive it otherwise?? LOL!!). Buy a set of good pads, they will last four times as long as the pads that cost 1/2 as much.

ken

7. xnoahx

xnoahx 1/2 ton status

the best way to check the condition of your pads is to acctually look at them. the longer they are on there when they are worn down, the more damage you are doing ot your rotors. They are super easy to change

My 73 K5 <a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/xk5blazerx/73k5.htm>http://www.geocities.com/xk5blazerx/73k5.htm</a> 350/TH350/NP203, Q-jet, Edelbrock intake, Vortec heads, 4" lift, and 36" TSL's

8. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

Yeah, I looked at them and they were practically gone. Got a deal on some from O'Reilly's, not sure how good they are, or how much they cost, but thats what I'm doing....

90K5

9. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

I run the Raybestos Brute Stop pads (carbon metalic). On my s-10 they last about 15K mi. (which for me is about 1 year). These pads are softer than most (they almost stop too hard...my friends hate to drive my truck because they hit the pedal and send themselves through the windsheld). I also drive the he!! out of it (does anyone else accelerate on off-ramps?).

Any way 12K mi kinda sucks.

'71 Blazer CST w/ a 400sbc, 4" lift, 36" Supper Swampers, and alot of rust
    <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/triaged>See it Here </a>

10. CV202

CV202 1/2 ton status

You get what you pay for. It can't be said enough. Mine are 4+ years old and still have plenty of meat on them. You don't need to go overboard with the crossdrilled this and space age that, just a quality pair will do you right.

Why do people keep calling it a Bronco!!!!! [​IMG]