Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How long should I make my new front shackles?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 84_Chevy_K10, Feb 17, 2004.

1. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I had made longer front shackles before out of 1/4" and now I'd like to upgrade. I've got a piece of 3/8" plate 2" wide to make them from. My old ones were 4.75" long. Is this enough, or should I make them longer?

How long are stock shackles?

How long are ORD's?

2. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

I have thought about this Myself but was wondering what would be the best grade of steel to use /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

3. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

I used 3/8 2" flat stock mild steel. You will be hard pressed to bend it the only draw back on mild is the holes waller out on you easier. I run a shackle 1" longer than stock and that is about the max I would go. The front end moves latterally more now. I have never bottomed out my springs either. You can go longer if you run a cross bar ( " H " shackle. But the longer it is the more your caster and such is ruined.
    my .02

4. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Mine are 0.375 and (IIRC) 7" center to center. But then I moved the mount in the frame up and forward for better shackle angle. Net result puts the back of the spring no more than 0.5" lower than stock...

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

So should I stick with the 4 3/4" I've been using, or go a little shorter/longer? 4 1/2" maybe?

I think the stockers are 4". I know I posted on this subject in the past but I can't find it.

I know the ORD ones are a 1/2" longer than stock, but I don't know what "stock" is as I threw those away years ago. My current front shackles are 1/4" and 4 3/4" center to center distance. The new ones will be 3/8" thick steel in whatever length I end up with....I've got a 3' long piece to work with.

And no comments about making them 9" long cause I've got a 36" long piece...I like living.

So, 4 1/2"? 4 3/4"? 5"?

I'll probably run a piece of stock across them and weld it in as well when I get my welder, which is looking like it should be sometime next month.

6. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

Is your truck sitting un-level right now?

7. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Yeah but it's on jackstands without a front axle or springs in it. The D60 is sitting under it waiting to get installed and I'm about to button it all up. I'm not really trying to adjust lift height, I just want to make sure I have enough shackle to keep the springs from hitting the frame.

In all honesty I want the shortest shackle that will be long enough to keep my springs off the frame to help my driveline angles up front. The 465/205 10 spline is a short combo.

8. BadDog

Sorry, no idea what the stock length was. I just figured out where I wanted mine to sit (angle), measured the fully extended length of the spring (along the arch) and made sure it cleared the frame by a little (allowing for deflection), and made shackles that gave me what I wanted...

9. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

when you ran the ones with 4.75" centers did your springs hit? if they did then go longer, if hey didn't then I'd make them the same size.. PS mine are 7" on centers. /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif I'm running a crossbrace in them that hits a bumpstopon the frame before the spring will hit.

10. mountainexplorer

Yeah, the 465/205 combo is a very short driveline. You're running a 10" lift was it? Whats your CV joint currently like? I had to "modify" a few of mine.

11. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

whats the stock length on the 465-205 driveline. I'm at 7" suspension lift and my front shaft is 36" flange to yoke.

I did mine the same way Russ did.

12. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Yeah, the 465/205 combo is a very short driveline. You're running a 10" lift was it? Whats your CV joint currently like? I had to "modify" a few of mine.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have 6" springs.

I think I'm going to go to 4 1/2". I didn't hit at 4 3/4" and I can help my pinion angle just a little bit this way

13. mountainexplorer

I can go measure one when I get back out to the garage. I have two sitting out there side by side. I noticed the factory 1-ton one is a slight bit shorter that the one out of a 3/4 ton to account for the size of the 60.

Oops, I wonder how I got 10" in my mind. My crew cab has 6" front springs, and I ran the driveline (unmodified) in it for 2 years now (off and on in 4-wheel). When I had the tranny and T-case dropped, I noticed a whole lot of play in the front yoke (flange). I stuck another yoke(flange) on there that made it a bit better, but I think that the driveline pulling constantly down had wore the splines out somewhat.

(sorry for the deviation from the topic)

14. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I haven't had any driveline issues other than having to grind my CV like crazy to ensure that it'd clear. All is fine now though.

15. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

the ord shackles are 4 1/2" center to center. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

16. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    the ord shackles are 4 1/2" center to center. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Bingo! Thanks!

17. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

well, Mine currently are 7 3/8 from bolt center to bolt center. Made from 1/4 strap steel. I have had no problems with street driving, although I don't push it in corners. Before I changed my front mounts, I did have a problem with pinion angle. With the stock mounts up front, the pinion was almost pointing down!! But i did notice alot more flex from the front along with a smoother ride. I have since moved my front mounts foward and spaced them from the frame by almost 3". Now the pinion is almost back to "stock" angle. With a 4 degree shim, it's still off a bit. I'll fix that when I finally get a D60 in there!!

18. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

I made mine (also out of 3/8 x 2" hot rolled) 5". I think it is too long. I am going to make some new ones 4.25 to 4.5" long. BTW stock shackles for the 87-91 k5's are 4.5" just like the ORD ones.

19. BadDog

FWIW, since your already doing this, have you considered fixing that shackle angle? You can move the mount forward in the frame, then make longer shackles to tie it together with a great deal more movement (flex) and an effectively lower front spring rate. Here is an example of mine. In this pic you can see the shackles pulled a forward so that they are almost vertical. They will go quite a bit beyond that... You can also see the hole for the old location of the bushing retainer.
    [​IMG]
    When in the fully stuffed position, my spring eye clears the frame by about 0.5" or so at it's closest position (just before the spring inverts). Here is a pic showing it more-or-less at ride height.
    [​IMG]
    It seems I don't have a good pic of it fully stuffed.

20. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I was just about to sign off and go cut up that piece of plate when I read this.

How much should I move my front hanger forward? I don't see why I can't do it. My bushings won't be here this weekend so it'll be something to do. How far do I go forward to get where yours are?

What size bolts should I use to re-attach the hangers after I cut the rivets? Are 7/16" ok?

How many rivets are there anyway?