Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How long should my serpentine belt last?

Discussion in 'Other Rides' started by TX Mudder, Apr 21, 2002.

1. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

My wondering. My 96 Dodge with the 5.9L has just over 100K on the clock. Every once in a while I hear a squeel, but hell it could be the water pump /forums/images/icons/wink.gif
    Should I just go ahead and replace the thing just because of mileage, or quit worrying about things that aren't broken.
    I've had the trucks since new and maintain it myself.
    -- Mike

2. chevyracing

chevyracing 1/2 ton status

cracks perpendicular to the belt are okay if they are small, the second it gets ANY cracks along the longitude replace it.

John

3. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I replace all belts every fall. I know, they may not need it, but it doesn't cost to much, and it's not hard to do. Just something my father always did, so I do it too.

4. 87GMC

87GMC 1/2 ton status

I think goodyear goes by cracks per inch. They recommend replacement if you have more than 4 per inch. Regardless I'd replace it, that's alot of miles on belt and it's easier to replace in the garage than on the road if it fails. Cheap insurance.

5. Prembird

Prembird 1/2 ton status

also after replacing it keep the old belt... Works great as a spare in case you need it out on the road... Unless its totally trashed that is...