Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How long to install a 2.5" lift?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Can Can, Jan 11, 2004.

1. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

How long to install a 2.5\" lift?

Well, the ol' 84 looks like it might FINALLY be getting a lift. The springs and shocks have had it and I was looking at the price differences between factory springs and a lift kit. I was kinda surprised to find out that a lift kit is just about the same price as factory replacements. I was quoted $1580.00 CDN for the 2.5" kit(Softride I believe) and $119 per shock(Rancho 9000x). I haven't done my research yet to find out if that's a good price or not, but I was kinda shocked when the guy told me it would cost $600 for the install labour. That sounds kinda steep to me, especially from a shop that specializes in 4x4 upgrades.

The shocks I can install myself, and I'm pretty sure I could handle installing new springs too. Am I right in thinking that $600 is too much for labor on a job like that? Keep in mind that I'm talking Canadian dollars.

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Re: How long to install a 2.5\" lift?

Keep in mind that every bolt is going to be frozen in there and that it will likely take all weekend. I suggest inviting your friends over all weekend and having a few extra cases of beer on hand.

Depending on your tools and how the bolts come out, it would take Friday night, Saturday, and Sunday. If all went as planned, it could be done in one whole day.

I think you should seriously consider just going to a 4" lift though. A 2 1/2" lift is a waste of time IMO. I know your main idea is to replace worn components, but you're talking 1.5" of difference that you'll thank yourself later for. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Good luck. Can't wait to see your rig a few inches taller in the next calander! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

it is very easy to install it yourself i did mine in about 4 hours and that was just taking my time. the hardest part is getting they front eye bolts out. they need to be pounded out most of the time /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

The largest time waster is dealing with rust. If you have a clean truck, it wont take to long at all, like mudhog said, a few hours and you will be done. If the truck has some cancer, it could take up to 2 solid days with a torch and grinder.

This is the reason i am wanting to lift my K5 so soon, before everything rusts together. I have spent more time at the car wash pressure washer on the frame this year than ever.

5. Can Can

If it were up to me I'd be going with a 4" and 35s, but there's this little thing standing in the way of accomplishing my dreams, and her name is Kim. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

Kim drives the truck WAY more than I do. Most of the time she's hauling two little kids around with her and the K5 is already a big enough pain to get kids in and out of. She'd love to drive a lifted truck but with kids it's just out of the question. Even when I mentioned the 2.5" lift I got the ol' raised eyebrow/forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif until I explained that it would cost just about the same as staying at stock height... /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

6. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Is that $1500+ for front and rear springs? Still sounds steep to me. My buddy got a 4" Pro-comp kit (springs and rear blocks) but it came with 4 new shocks as well and the kit ran him $1000 cdn. Keep in mind this was 18 months ago and the cdn dollar was worth at least 20% less than it is now.

I also think you'll be happier in the long run with a 4" system...

Keep shopping Paul.

Rene

7. Can Can

Sounds like an great opportunity for you to take a road trip Shannon.......I could show you the wonders of Canmore and you could show me the tricks of installing a lift!!! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. Can Can

No, Rene, that was $1500 for all 4 springs, new u-bolts and spring bolts all around, and 4 9000x shocks. I still have some shopping to do- I never buy anything without comparing prices.

Speaking of road trips and helping a guy out...... /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

9. tRustyK5

Oh, as for the install:

Don't bother trying to unbolt the spring eye bolts. Big waste of time...get a grinder with a 3/32" thick cut off wheel and cut through the bolts. If you cut right beside each spring eye the spring will drop out.

Get some new spring eye bolts and grease them really good when you put it back together.

Rene

10. rick88blaze

rick88blaze 1/2 ton status

I bought the Genuine Suspension 2 1/2" kit with new rear springs and ProComp ES3000 shocks and 33" tires from 4WPW. I've been very happy with it. It rides decent and handles good whether I have my sway bar hooked up or not. But I did that lift for 2 reasons:

1. I wanted a 6" with the ORD shackle flip, but was and still am on a limited budget, this way, all I have to do later is get the 4" rear shackle flip, and 6" front springs, that or 2 1/2" shackle flip and 5" springs. Haven't decided.

2. I have small children, and my K5 is my daily driver. Right now they can all 3 get in by themselves. (the littlest one barely can). If I had gone any bigger, I would be picking up the 2 younger ones to get them in the truck. That's a headache I don't want.

So for now, the 2 1/2" w/ 33" tires is perfect. Probably 1 to 2 years from now, I'll go up a few more inches, after my kids are bigger. Or sooner if I get another DD, and my K5 is a trail only truck.

Rick /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Oh yeah, it took me and a buddy about 8 hours to install the lift. That was with a few smoke breaks, 3 parts runs, and trying to get out 15 year old Midwest rusted on bolts without a torch. Burnt up 3 cutting discs, my 4 1/2" grinder, and dulling and resharpening my air hammer bits 2-3 times each. (cheap bits) /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

11. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

Make sure you start using lots of WD-40 on the bolts right now so it wont make it so bad to take apart. Also I would get Bilsteins rather than the Rancho's. I think that the bilstiens will give you a better ride, last longer and handle better.

12. mudhog

id love to come up that way someday and someday i will just don't have the money right now /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

13. mudhog

[ QUOTE ]
    Oh, as for the install:

Don't bother trying to unbolt the spring eye bolts. Big waste of time...get a grinder with a 3/32" thick cut off wheel and cut through the bolts. If you cut right beside each spring eye the spring will drop out.

Get some new spring eye bolts and grease them really good when you put it back together.

Rene

[/ QUOTE ]
    very good tip Rene /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

14. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

I'm going to go against everyone here and say that 2.5" of lift is a good amount for a trail rig. While the kids are young keep 33's on it. When they get older and the k5 becomes a trail rig just slap some 35" or tires on it with a bit of trimming and you will have a very good wheeler. The low CG will keep you from rolling it and also help you drive up steeper hill climbs. I'm going to try and get my truck down to about 2.5-3" with the 4" TC EZ-rides up front and some 63" leaves and a shackle flip out back. I might have to build some new parts to make that happen (like a custome 2.5" shackle flip bracket for a 1st gen...ORD doesn't make them).

15. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    Keep in mind that every bolt is going to be frozen in there and that it will likely take all weekend. I suggest inviting your friends over all weekend and having a few extra cases of beer on hand.

Depending on your tools and how the bolts come out, it would take Friday night, Saturday, and Sunday. If all went as planned, it could be done in one whole day.

I think you should seriously consider just going to a 4" lift though. A 2 1/2" lift is a waste of time IMO. I know your main idea is to replace worn components, but you're talking 1.5" of difference that you'll thank yourself later for. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Good luck. Can't wait to see your rig a few inches taller in the next calander! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

3 days? /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

I did the 2.5" lift on this '84 for my gramps in under 5 hours.
    [​IMG]
    That 5 hours includes a couple trips to town for bolts because I had to cut the front spring hanger bolts off. I don't know how the hell you come up with 3 days to do this job. If he's doing rear springs, there less than 30 bolts to undo- (not counting lug nuts)

Front u bolts and spring hanger/shackles= 12.
    Steering arm= 3
    Drag link= 1
    Rear u-bolts and spring hanger/shackles= 12

Alot of those can be eliminated by just cutting the u-bolts off since you'll need new ones anyways. Air tools are assumed.

If I had new spring eye bolts, u-bolts etc, so I wouldnt have to go anywhere for parts, I could do that lift by myself in under 3 hours if I really hauled ass. 3 days, or even 2 is rediculous. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

16. mudhog

[ QUOTE ]
    I'm going to go against everyone here and say that 2.5" of lift is a good amount for a trail rig. While the kids are young keep 33's on it. When they get older and the k5 becomes a trail rig just slap some 35" or tires on it with a bit of trimming and you will have a very good wheeler. The low CG will keep you from rolling it and also help you drive up steeper hill climbs. I'm going to try and get my truck down to about 2.5-3" with the 4" TC EZ-rides up front and some 63" leaves and a shackle flip out back. I might have to build some new parts to make that happen (like a custome 2.5" shackle flip bracket for a 1st gen...ORD doesn't make them).

[/ QUOTE ]
    i agree i have a 2.5in and i have 38's /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif i like the fact that i have 38's and am lower than most with 38's so they will roll well before i do /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

17. rick88blaze

rick88blaze 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Make sure you start using lots of WD-40 on the bolts right now so it wont make it so bad to take apart

[/ QUOTE ]

no offense zcarczar, but screw WD-40, PB Blaster works 100 times better than WD-40. I've sprayed PB on rusted bolts that I couldn't break loose with a 15" breaker bar, 10 minutes later, I take them off with a regular 1/2" or 3/8" ratchet. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif PB Blaster is the [darn]!!

18. tRustyK5

No offense to either of you...but I highly doubt you've tried working on 20 year old spring eye bolts on an Alberta truck. The only thing that'll get those out is a grinder...

Even if by some miracle they did come out you'd have to replace them, they'll be fairly well eaten by corrosion.

Rene

19. K5Jimmy

K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

A 16 yo kid (LotsaFaith) did his in my shop in about 8hrs (over 2 days) using hand tools...that included the dropped arm...bolts were plenty rusty and I didn't own a grinding wheel at the time...

20. fourwheelerjeff

fourwheelerjeff 1/2 ton status Staff Member Moderator

a buddy and i took a lift off of one blazer and installed it in another in 4 hours using hand tools in a parking lot, then again we didn't have to deal with rust very much, on another blazer one time we had to use a hacksaw to cut the front bolts out

i would think there would be no or hardly any price difference between a 2.5 inch lift and a 4 inch lift, regardless of the lift you will probably be using the same size tires

a couple of other options you may think about are add-a-leaves for the front and rear or getting some stock springs off a member that is lifting his, as both options would probably be cheaper, might even find a member selling a 2.5 or 4 inch lift for cheap

and lastly, when are you doing this, you are too far for a road trip for me, wish i could help you out /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif