Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How long to strip a truck?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mikey_d05, Sep 5, 2006.

1. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

My buddy is a 'Yota guy and found a parts truck he really wants. He doesn't have a tow rig or trailer and it's a couple hours from home. We've got a good relationship and do favors for each other quite often. (don't take that anywhere)

He only wants the main pieces from the truck and to just take the rest to scrap. Our idea was to:

-Pick the truck up Friday night, get it into the garage, and cut the front clip off for ease of drivetrain removal
    -Spend Saturday and Sunday ripping out the steering, drivetrain, and axles.
    -Take the remainder to scrap on Monday morning.

Is this doable or am I in over my head. I have a good assortment of tools along with an engine hoist. I do not however have a torch.

Waddya guys think?

2. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

very doable with a few guys

3. 6.2puller

6.2puller 1/2 ton status

Its possable in one day but probably not on your first part-out. I generally don't do them inside the garage myself. A sawzall is going to be your friend if you are torchless. That and a grinder.

Personally I flip them on their side, remove axles, tranny, tcase then flop it back down. Engine can be pulled first or last, your choice. Any body pcs you want need to be pulled first though :haha:

4. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

stripping !

Should be easy to chop out the axles,engine,and drivetrain in two days..we used to "gut" trucks in a few hours at the junkyard--a torch is much faster than wrenching!...and a forkloader makes engine/tranny/axle removal very quick,compared to using a hoist..we always did it outside if weather permitted...its a lot easier to see outside,and no fire danger from spilled oil or gas from the torch..most garages aren't big enough to take out axles,etc..

If your just chopping the desired parts out, with no concern about putting it back together,it shouldn't take more than a full 8 hour day..but you WILL be sore and tired after doing it!..we used to do cab swaps and engine transplants over a weekend,but tried to get it done saturday (or as much as possible anyway),so Sunday could be PARTY DAY!...:D

5. Stomper

Stomper ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ GMOTM Winner

A couple guys should be able to strip it in a few hours. Especially if the body is shot and you don't want to save any of it. Like said before, I'd also flip it on it's side for drive train removal. Blue tip wrench is your friend:D

6. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

2 of you, knowing what you're doing, should be a 1 day ordeal.

7. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

i agree

8. jason m

jason m 1/2 ton status

30 pack makes it go faster to, jason.

9. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

Buy the "The Torch" Milwaukee blades for the sawzall. I've cut up a couple vehicles & those are the best I've ever seen for that sort of work.
    I can flatten a Willys Pick-up cab by myself in 45 mins with one of those blades. Shame that I had to, but it was junk.

10. jays68yak

jays68yak 1/2 ton status

couple hours, sawzall, torch, air tools.