Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How long to swap a complete pickup body?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by kennyw, Nov 7, 2002.

1. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

I am wanting to convert my truck to 1 ton but dont like the idea of the weak 1/2 ton frame still supporting it all... Since I am picking up a 3/4 ton frame for free I am thinking about building the chassis on the side while still driving my truck (79 K10 longbed) then trying to swap the body, engine, tranny, t-case over in a long weekend (3-4 days).

I want the truck to be capable of hauling a small/med sized camper and just being a reliable daily driver.

2. CooknwithGas

CooknwithGas 1/2 ton status

It always takes longer than you think for "surprises." In four days I think I could do it, but you better do lots of planning and have everything you need before you start. You are going to need to drive the truck as soon as the job is finished, so you should make sure you have all the parts you need on day 1.

Take pictures and let us know how it goes.

3. kennyw

Might be better to pickup another engine, tranny, tcase first to save time...

Hmm, 383 V8 or 406 TBI? TBI might make it harder to get done in a weekend though... My current 350 V8 seems a little tired sometimes. But that could just be the 3.40 gears I am temporarily driving on till I get the axles taken care of.

Yes it will definitly take a lot of planning.

4. madmike

madmike 1/2 ton status

I swapped complete pickup truck bodies once. I live in Ohio, everything is rusty. My '80 K10 was rusted out bad, but the frame and running gear was good. I looked in the paper one day, a guy had a '74 C10 from South Carolina for sale, so I bought it. I swapped the '74 C10 body onto my '80 K10 chassis. It took me a couple of weekends in a row to do it, but while I had it all apart, I did a lot of extra scraping, cleaning, painting, minor welding and rust preventative things to my frame and the new body. i did the swap about 5 or 6 years ago, and the truck still gets compliments. If you plan it all very well, and don't do a lot of extra things like I did, and have a few buddies help you, you could do it in a long weekend. Its not hard, just time consuming, good luck!

5. kennyw

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    I live in Ohio, everything is rusty

[/ QUOTE ]
    Yes, I have experienced my fair share of rust too. Grew up in Illinois then moved to Minnesota. That is why I love the truck I have now but wish it was 3/4 ton or bigger axles.
    [​IMG]

I am thinking it can be done in 3-4 day weekend if the chassis I am swapping to is done first...

6. FRIZZLEFRY

FRIZZLEFRY 1/2 ton status

I did my body swap in a day.Drove the K5 to work in the morning and drove it home as a pick up that night.Swapping your engine/tranny/t case as one unit while the body is off would only take an hour or so.I think if everything went smooth you could get it done in 2 full days /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

7. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

I though 3/4ton's and 1/2ton's had the same frame just differnt axles???

8. kennyw

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    I though 3/4ton's and 1/2ton's had the same frame just differnt axles???

[/ QUOTE ]
    No, the frames get thicker and have a stronger section modulus as you step up from blazer, suburban, 1/2 ton, 3/4 ton, to 1 ton etc. I would not be worried about it if I was not planning on carrying a camper.

Of course that is not true of the 1960-66 trucks... They used the same frame cross section in all 1/2 and 3/4 ton 4x4s and it was also the same as the 1 ton 2wd of the era.