Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How long until you should lose your citizenship?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Can Can, Jul 21, 2006.

1. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

As a result of the impending war between Lebanon and Israel, the Canadian government is working around the clock trying to evacuate all the Canucks from the affected area. The problem is, AT LEAST 10% of the people seeking to escape the war zone haven't lived in Canada for 10 years or more. I read one story saying that many of the "citizens" are children who weren't even born in Canada, but born to Lebanese people who initially immigrated to Canada but then moved back home at least 5 years ago. In fact, a significant portion of the "evacuees" no longer own homes in Canada and are relying on the government to house them in the meantime. A lot of them don't even have valid Canadian identification anymore.......:surepal:

I realize that some of us may end up living in a foreign country for an extended period of time due to work or family circumstances, but when is it fair to say "Look, you're no longer a citizen of Canada". Should you be able to sell everything, move back to your "homeland", and then start crying for your former government to save your ass when the **** hits the fan?

To make matters worse, some of these people had the gall to complain about the poor conditions on one of the ships used in the initial stages of the evacuation. I believe the quote was "I'm ashamed to be Canadian. I should have stayed in Lebanon and took my chances with Israeli bombs.......:mad: :mad: :mad:

Sorry for the rant, but I had to get that off my chest.:crazy:

2. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Not that I have any insight into the citizen aspect, but I found it humurous when people where complaining about being stuck there... Sorry, but if you feel the need to be in a place like Beruit, well then, those are the chances you take... Find a more friendly vacation spot... People forget what happened there in the 80's...

3. Stickseler

Stickseler 3/4 ton status

5 years out of country...see ya bye

4. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

I'd like to think that if for whatever reason, I got transfered to say (I work for a German owned company) Germany for an extended period of time, that I could still be welcomed home here. I certainly wouldn't keep my residence if my stay were over 1-2 years.

But I wouldn't be using the system, and surely wouldn't bitch about the conditions on the way home. Especially if they were evacuating me from a war zone. :screwy:

Sounds like these people aren't proud citizens of Canada and are just using the system.

5. Can Can

I haven't been able to figure out how many of the evacuees were actually on short term vacations, but I'm willing to bet that it wasn't 10,000. That's the amount of people they're bringing "home".......

6. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

I've seen some of our fine Amercan citizens whining as well. Well, rocket scientist, what exactly are doing in Lebanon anyway, Cabo San Lucas all booked up? Idiots........

John

7. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Amen Brother.

8. DEMON44

DEMON44 Low-Tech Redneck

If ya weren't born here yer NAWT a citizen..................your a landed immigrant. There should be stiffer rules when those people go away. 5 years is WAY too long....2 tops then your papers get torched.

I mean come on do they pay taxes to the canadian government while living in Lebanon.....not friggin likely. My wife and I pay our taxes every year to the blood suckers..........then she has to wait 10-14 hours at the Foothills hospital Emergency waiting room just to see the doctor when she had a miscarrage last winter, F**K THAT and F**K THEM

9. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Bullsh!t, I was not born here and I AM a citizen :angry1: :angry1: You're a landed immigrant until you apply to become a citizen and it all goes through. I've lived in Canada for 39 years, I vote in each election, pay more than my fair share of taxes, own a home here and am damn proud to be Canadian.

As for when your Citzenship should be revoked, IMO 2 years is plenty of time. I gave up my Dutch citizenship when I became a Canadian citizen, and certainly wouldn't expect the Dutch government to bail me out...

Rene

10. Can Can

Is there no dual-citizenship available to Dutch Canadians? My US/Canadian dual citizenship lasts until I die.

11. sarasotausmc

sarasotausmc 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Just asking, but having dual citizenship and if the Canadians weren't working on getting citizens out of there, would you be able to call on the US to get you out of there (if you were there)? Or vice versa?

I'm not sure what to think about dual citizenship. My wife of 17 years has been here in the US for 16 years, but is still a UK citizen. Her taxes are paid to the US. We've had that discussion about the question above many times before.

12. Can Can

My mom moved to the US to work and got married while there. I was born in New Jersey. My father died when I was 8 months old so my mom moved back to Canada. She put the dual citizenship claim in on my behalf. I've just never bothered to change it. At one point I held both a US and a Canadian passport- now I have neither.

Although I don't pay taxes in the USA, I don't use any of their infrastructure either. FWIW, on my 18th birthday I registered with the Selective Service board down at the US consulate. I also have a Social Security #.

13. DEMON44

DEMON44 Low-Tech Redneck

Thats exactly what I'm talking about. you let go of the old country to come here to live and work. these folks that do not live here or even stay here for any period of time before they go back to the home land (ie middle east) then WW3 breaks out and they want good old CAN government to bail them out.

what I'm saying is take care of the hard working folks that live and work in country, pay taxes to the federal, provincial, city governments put that money back into our economy. So we can get the hospital care that is lacking, schools that are falling apart, roads that are deplorable especially for our province that has a metric assload of cash from oil to top it off.

14. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

Wow after all these years I never knew that about Your Father.
    Anyways, I would not expect someone like You to pay into the US tax system simply cause You have never lived here in Your adult life.
    Now I do have one question. Would You ever be eligible for social security benefits once You reached the age requirement? I know that a lot of elderly immigrants come here and get them even though they have never worked a day in their life in the US.

15. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

Don't you have to put something in to get some out?

16. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

17. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

Probably a good reason why social security won't be around when I would be ready to retire.

18. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

Try this on for size..........
    When My Father started receiving His Social Security benefits He also found out that My Mother would also get benefits from what He paid in all His working years. Now the real kicker..........His ex-wife from years ago would also receive benefits even though she was already getting them for herself as well as benefits from her second husband who had died.
    He sent a letter back asking if His dog was eligble................No Kidding.

19. Can Can

I'm not sure if I'm eligible or not. Regardless, I woudn't DARE try to collect from a system I've never contributed to. I'm not that kind of guy......

20. DEMON44

DEMON44 Low-Tech Redneck

Sorry about your pops, I didn't see that till just now.