Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How Long will it Take for my Crank to wear through the Dent in my Oil Pan??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by rigdonhome, Jun 28, 2003.

1. rigdonhome

rigdonhome 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gifI just threw together a motor out of spare parts to get the Malibu running under its own power again... On the way home it bounced around on the wood blocks I had it strapped down on and dented the oil pan. I turned the crank over by hand to see that it wouldn't lock up, but knew for sure it was going to rub. Since a new oil pan gasket was totally out of the budget (budget was $0) I decided to take my chances. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

So now I get it running and it really 'Thwacks' the pan good... Sounds like someone is hammering on my oil pan from underneath... I thought it would quickly beat the pan back down, but /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif notta chance. I wouldn't normally let all this happen with a motor swap, but I literally had to dig through ash trays to scrounge up $0.75 for a new freeze plug for this motor. This is a 'Temporary Engine' so I plan to beat it relentlessly and give it no maintenance whatsoever. (How is that different than when I put in a 'Good' motor???) /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif

On another motor once I accidentally dropped the car off the jack and it landed with the jack on the oil pan, denting it into the crank. That was a more minor dent than this one and it went away in about a week.

/forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif Any bets on how long it will take to wear through or beat the pan back out? I figure all those metal shavings it's creating should be a good test for the oil pump screen and the 'New' Fram oil filter I scrounged out of a box that had been unopened for about 8 years. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

The dent is under the baffled part of the pan, so I don't think it will wear through the outside of the pan. Just make a lot of noise.

<FORM METHOD=POST ACTION="http://coloradok5.com/forums/dopoll.php"><INPUT TYPE=HIDDEN NAME="pollname" VALUE="1056786019rigdonhome">

How Long will the Knocking Last?
    <input type="radio" name="option" value="1" />3 Days
    <input type="radio" name="option" value="2" />1 Week
    <input type="radio" name="option" value="3" />1 Month
    <input type="radio" name="option" value="4" />Only Until the Shavings Seize a Rod Bearing, then it will be a 'Different' Knock
    <input type="radio" name="option" value="5" />It Will be That Way Forever
    <INPUT TYPE=Submit NAME=Submit VALUE="Submit vote" class="buttons"></form>

Cheers,
    Scott

2. four_by_ken

four_by_ken 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

3. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

I don't know if I should laugh, cry, or just scratch my head....

4. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I would have yanked the pan anyway, while the engine was out and the pan was easy to get to, using a sharpened putty knife to gently pry the gasket loose without too much damage. Then beat the dent out of the pan and used some silicone goo or other gasket sealer to goop it up good before putting it back together. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif But since it's in a Malibu, I'm guessing that the cross member is really in the way of removing the pan now. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

5. rigdonhome

[ QUOTE ]
    I would have yanked the pan anyway, while the engine was out and the pan was easy to get to, using a sharpened putty knife to gently pry the gasket loose without too much damage. Then beat the dent out of the pan and used some silicone goo or other gasket sealer to goop it up good before putting it back together. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif But since it's in a Malibu, I'm guessing that the cross member is really in the way of removing the pan now. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, it's a real B* to get the pan off the 'Bu. I've done it before though on another 'Bu when the oil sump fell off the oil pump and I lost oil pressure under hard braking! You can either 'roll' it out by rotating the crank weights out of the way and gradually sliding the pan back and down, or you can jack up the engine a little and get it out without too much swearing. Either way it's work I don't have time or ambition to do.

Just thought others might enjoy a good laugh at my expense...

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. HarryH3

[ QUOTE ]
    Just thought others might enjoy a good laugh at my expense...

[/ QUOTE ]
    Just remember, we aren't laughing with you, we're laughing at you! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

7. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif
    /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

im a student at UTI right now and this goes against EVERYTHING that i've been taught. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

8. K5Glazier

K5Glazier 1/2 ton status

Seen this done before: while motor running, try pounding on the oil pan with a 2x4 and small sledge hammer. It may take a few whacks, but this method will work. Not sure where to hit the oil pan, but maybe message this will refresh someones memory and will reply. If I get a hold of the guy who actually did this, I will ask him and let you know. Good luck.

9. HarryH3

[ QUOTE ]
    im a student at UTI right now and this goes against EVERYTHING that i've been taught.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Yeah, but there's one HUGE assumption that goes into everything that they're teaching you there... That assumption is that you have a customer that is willing and able to pay for whatever parts you tell them that their car needs. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

When it comes down to spending $40 or so on an oil pan gasket, or using some gasket goop that's laying around the garage, and the reality of your situation is that you don't have two nickels to rub together, then ya do what ya gotta do. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. speed_deed

speed_deed 1/2 ton status

I 100% understand your no having money situation.

Sooner or later you'll come out on top.

11. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

A little pan massage with a 2x4 and a hammer while it's running isn't a bad idea...I'd concentrate on the edges of the dent. Start with a couple of small love taps and work your way up...I wouldn't be surprised if it popped out enough to run quietly.

Rene

12. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Your all just not using the right redneck logic here!

All you need is a dent puller, and some super epoxy ((two part dries hard as steel stuff)

Step 1: empty oil, into clean pan to reuse later
    Step 2: drill small pilot hole in middle of dent.
    Step 3: use sliding dent puller, pull out dent.
    Step 4: clean up all oil from area, plug up said hole with epoxy.

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif It might just work, i dunno, Im just a city boy...

13. rigdonhome

[ QUOTE ]
    A little pan massage with a 2x4 and a hammer while it's running isn't a bad idea...I'd concentrate on the edges of the dent. Start with a couple of small love taps and work your way up...I wouldn't be surprised if it popped out enough to run quietly.

Rene

[/ QUOTE ]

This is brilliant! I have dome some 'Redneck Body Work' before and have some experience with gently bumping minor dents out, since I rarely ever fix a dent the right way. (Why spend money on looksies when I could have a new crate motor for less than a nice paint job???) I'll let everyone know how this works.

14. rigdonhome

[ QUOTE ]
    Your all just not using the right redneck logic here!

All you need is a dent puller, and some super epoxy ((two part dries hard as steel stuff)

Step 1: empty oil, into clean pan to reuse later
    Step 2: drill small pilot hole in middle of dent.
    Step 3: use sliding dent puller, pull out dent.
    Step 4: clean up all oil from area, plug up said hole with epoxy.

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif It might just work, i dunno, Im just a city boy...

[/ QUOTE ]

If the 2x4 thing doesn't work out, I'll do this. I've used self-tapping fine thread bolts to fix things like say a pinhole in a radiator tank or even once a hole I punched in my rear diff cover. Put a little silicone around it and I should be good to go...