Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

how long would this take?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by unick, Nov 11, 2003.

1. unick

unick 1/2 ton status

Ive got quite a few mods planned for the truck and they are all underneath the body so Im gonna do them all at the same time.

6" lift
    D60 and 14BFF.

How long do you think this would take me and a couple of buddies?

LMK
    Nick

2. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

I have replaced a single axle by myself in about 6-8 hours including a parts run or two. If your lift is all springs then it would be about a 1/2 hour for each spring after the axle is already out. Now with a 6" lift there are extra things like extended brake lines, longer shocks, driveshaft issues...

3. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

1/2 is optomistic. My front lift alone took half a day. Those main eye bolts would not budge from the sleeves to save my life.

4. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

depens on 2 things
    tools and talent /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

if I was you, I'd plan on it taking a weekend. get the rig up on blocks/stands the night b4 you plan on working on it, so when u go out to work you can really get right to it.

j

6. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    1/2 is optomistic. My front lift alone took half a day. Those main eye bolts would not budge from the sleeves to save my life.

[/ QUOTE ]

You have to remember he is on the west coast /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif His truck isnt going to be rusted together solid like yours. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif I can change out a single leaf spring in less than a half hour on my truck if the axle is already taken out. Heck 10 minutes would probably be enough time.

7. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

yeah this is true, rust is mostly whats holding the k5 together, but thats alright, everything that rusts out gets ripped off and replaced with better clearance steel aka tubing front and rear and sliders /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif.

8. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    depens on 2 things
    tools and talent /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

How about a Torch and BFH (big friggin hammer) /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

9. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

One thing I would do is only invite one buddy because one helper is sometimes better than 2 or 3. Reason... When you say things like" hand me a 9/16" obviously your talking to him. When there is 2 guys they stand there and look at eachother like" are you going to get or do I have to /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif" I found this out when I did a bunch of work to mine and thought the more buddies the better but I learned that 2 guys working hard is usually the best.
    I did my 3/4ton swap and 3" body all at once and took me 3days. Rolled right through the axle swap but the body lift was a bit ch. and took 1 extra day to figure out why my brakes werent working on the new axles.(plugged caliper)
    Good luck! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif I swapped my old front 6lug 10B into 84ploar bear's blazer in 4 hours with a little help. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

10. B_to_C

B_to_C 1/2 ton status Author

yup, rust sucks....say if the eye bolts wont budge and you have to get a guy to torch your rear springs off. then you find yourself in a situation where while torching through the right rear spring at the schackle the rubber bushing bursts into flames. then those flames are surrounding your gas filler tube. then it's a mad dash to get a hose before your rig blows up and kills at least one innocent guy crouched inside the wheelwell ... yea, that sucks.

11. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    depens on 2 things
    tools and talent

[/ QUOTE ]

I couldn't agree more, tools make the biggest difference, and of course the length of time is directly proportional to the amount of beer consumed.

I think if I were to do a lift on a K5 that hadn't been touched I would start a week or so before hand and spray the bolts to be romoved with PB Blaster everyday. I would also make sure that if I didn't have a cutting torch, I had a good sawzall, and a good set of tools. Plan a weekend, but you and a helper should be able to do most of it in one day. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

12. unick

unick 1/2 ton status

alright thanx for the info guys. Its gonna b a really rough weekend I guess. But what the hell itll b fun!!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif