Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How Long....

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 87BrnRsd, Oct 10, 2003.

1. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

....Will it take me to do the following:
    I have an 87K5. Next weekend I will be putting on a lift. So how long will it take me to put in a 14ff rear, with a shackle flip, front 4" bds springs, new shocks, extended brake lines, and a swaybar disconnect? I have all of friday, saturday, and sunday to do it. I think it should be enough time, just asking what yall think. Also, what is a good way to get the old spring bushings removed, and what is a good grease for the new bushings? Oh, and does anyone know a good way to get the steering arm off? I have gotten one off before when I swapped in a new front axle, but when I beat it off, the 3 cone washers had been clamped so tight that they threaded themselves, and when I beat the steering arm off, it stripped those 3 studs. How do I get the steering arm off easily, and without messing anything up?? Thanks.
    -Harrison

2. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I have all of friday, saturday, and sunday to do it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good. If you're done by late Saturday/early Sunday...you're doing well.

[ QUOTE ]
    Also, what is a good way to get the old spring bushings removed, and what is a good grease for the new bushings?

[/ QUOTE ]
    What bushings are you removing? /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif Best luck I've had with bushings (assuming you have replacements) is to drill them out. Just take a drill and go around the metal sleeve as much as possible, then the sleeve can come out and you can pound out whatever's left of the bushing (usually not much). Heat is also a VERY good thing. Even a propane torch is better than nothing.

[ QUOTE ]
    Oh, and does anyone know a good way to get the steering arm off? I have gotten one off before when I swapped in a new front axle, but when I beat it off, the 3 cone washers had been clamped so tight that they threaded themselves, and when I beat the steering arm off, it stripped those 3 studs. How do I get the steering arm off easily, and without messing anything up??

[/ QUOTE ]
    Once all the cone washers break free...slide them off over the studs and then pull off the steering arm. This way, if you need to, you can "thread" the cones off over the studs. Otherwise, if you get them lifted up enough, take a chisel/screwdriver, put it in the crack of the cone washers, and spread the washers apart a bit by hitting your chisel with a hammer. Works for me.

3. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

99% of the answer to those questions depends on how crusty the underside of your blazer is. It could go quick, or it could take forever if your brake hard lines need replaced, shackle bushings are froze in and need burned out, U bolt nuts are seized, and if the 14bff you are swapping in was from a 1 ton or 3/4 ton. If it's from a 1 ton you will need to move the spring plates and shock mounts. If I think a job will take 3 days I triple it to get a realistic number /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

4. mudjunkie 82

mudjunkie 82 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

The best thing to do is a few days before you do this take some Pb blaster or wd40 and soak the hell out of the bolts and nuts.

5. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

There really isnt any rust under my truck so that shouldnt be a problem. The 14ff I am swapping in is from a 1.25 ton military truck, and the perches and shock mounts do need to be moved. I started on that yesterday, and will have them finished beofre I start the project. Oh, and I would love to be able to double the time I have to work on my truck, but 3 days is all I have.
    -Harrison