Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How Long?

Discussion in 'Tow & Trailer' started by Seventy4Blazer, Dec 24, 2003.

1. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

well, as some of you know ill be selling my house and moving Back to camp Pendleton. sad to leave arizzona and even more sad to go to cali. (california and i dont get along) im thinking VERY hard about buying a crew cab daully here in the next few days. i WANT to put the "extra" house money into my blazer, but i think im going to have to buy a trailer for it so i can have the Marine Corps pay for storing it(they dont pay to store a non running auto while you are deployed) it wont be done for a while, so this trailer will be a work area as well.

how long should i get? ill have about 4k to spend on the trailer and am looking at 10k and 14k GRVW trailers with the wide bed/axle setup and the lower axles.

but, HOW LONG? i have NO problem driving a semi, so length is not a worry.
    any input is good.
    Grant

2. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

10k 18' should be fine. The one you followed back from Moab is an 18' dove tail 7500.

3. Seventy4Blazer

Russ,
    just out of curiosity how much did you pay for your trailer?
    and why did you get a dove tail? personaly i dont like dove tails, and with 42's i dont see a need for one. but i would like your input.
    Grant

4. BadDog

Hmmm, seems like I paid about $1250 for mine brand new with removable fender, "bearing buddies", top crank jack with wheel and plate food, and 2 ramps. First thing I needed to haul was the wife's Bonneville from West Palm Beach to Phoenix so it was setup to handle very low and long cars.

The dove tail is very handy for anything other than the buggy, it's just a matter of versatility and easier to resale. Just make sure you check out the frame construction. When I bought mine, I found some for $100-$400 more that were weaker (or no stronger) than what I bought.

5. Seventy4Blazer

hmm, i can get a slightly used trailer that is about like yours but no dovetail for 1200. it is very well made, just has no brakes and i think he may be asking a bit much for it. there are a few trailer makers and sellers here in town, i think ill go looking today. i did decide not to buy the other truck, so im going to have to borrow a truck to move my soon to be trailer and blazer, but that wont be a big deal as it wont weigh much.
    i can use any half ton long bed to do it in a safe manner i think.
    Grant

6. BadDog

Definitely too much. When I bought mine, I was also looking at similar trailers (to what I bought) used with brakes from $500 to around $900 "like new".

7. Seventy4Blazer

k, thanks for the input.
    Grant

8. Seventy4Blazer

Re: How Long? **update**

well, i decided on a 10,500lbs gooseneck. that puts it right at the limit with my truck as well. trailer is going to be 25ft long /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif this will make it so once i move to cali and have a 140 mile comute each day i can buy a geo metro... yeah, i know i just got rid of one...

with the limits of the truck and trailer i can max it out with a 6200lbs of blazer and 2k of metro. if needed ill remove weight from the metro in all places possible to save a few lbs. tools and parts can go in the bed of the truck.

it would be sitting at about 10450lbs. close to the limit, but not over by my estimates. the trailer has brakes on both axles, and a wood deck. im having them make it as light as possible obviously. but it whould weigh in at about 2200lbs they said.

Grant