Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How loud are flowmaster 40 series mufflers?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 87BrnRsd, Jul 22, 2004.

1. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

Just as the post states. I have an 87K5 350 and plan on putting a set of headman headers on flowing into sime high flow cats, and then into some original flowmaster 40 series mufflers. I just want to know how loud they are. Will they be louder then just headers into glasspacks or what? Thanks.
    -Harrison

2. Bhintz

Bhintz 1/2 ton status

In my opinion beside from open headers on a big block they are the best sounding exhaust system, and glasspacks will be a little louders

3. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

Good, thats what I wanted to hear. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    -Harrison

4. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

I know you said original 40 series, but I have to say I really like my new Super 40s. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

5. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

I have super 40's and they sound sweet and they are not too loud but loud enough to make a statement /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

6. 86chevybanshee

86chevybanshee 1/2 ton status

they sound awsome /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif end of story

7. y5mgisi

y5mgisi 1 ton status

Go to flowmastermufflers.com they have a place where you can listen to all the muffflers installed on certain vehicals /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

8. stretch67

stretch67 1/2 ton status

i am running headman headers into 2-1/2" all the way out the back with the old 40's. they are pretty quiet at idle and at cruise till you get on the gas, then they get louder but it sounds good! /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

9. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

I've got a single 3" 40 on my blazer without a cat. It's a VERY nice sounding system. my only complaint is that it's a little tough to hear your spotter when offroading, but other than that, they sound GREAT. It's a little loud, it will wake my sun when I leave in the AM if I'm not careful, and the wife can hear me coming from about a mile away, but :shrug: I can't help that /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

10. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

not loud enough for me.... they can be, noise really depends a lot on your full setup. My 95 had a TBI 350 with stock y pipe back to a 3" in dual out flowmaster 40 delta flow. It was so loud I worried about being pulled over every time I entered town... I loved it. I put dual flowmaster 40s on the K5 off the headers, it sounded great but not as loud. Put a single flowmaster 40 after the factory cat on my 89 Burb, omg it sounds as quiet as stock and not much better??? Burb will likely be getting cats with dual dynomax glasspacks, shall see how that sounds.

11. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    not loud enough for me.... they can be, noise really depends a lot on your full setup. My 95 had a TBI 350 with stock y pipe back to a 3" in dual out flowmaster 40 delta flow. It was so loud I worried about being pulled over every time I entered town... I loved it. I put dual flowmaster 40s on the K5 off the headers, it sounded great but not as loud. Put a single flowmaster 40 after the factory cat on my 89 Burb, omg it sounds as quiet as stock and not much better??? Burb will likely be getting cats with dual dynomax glasspacks, shall see how that sounds.

[/ QUOTE ]

The difference was NIGHT AND DAY when I took the cat off my 89. Before, I thought I had gotten tricked with the 40 series. I think if I had it to do again, a nice hi-flow cat and no muffler would be my choice. Then again, for the reason I said above, I prb would still be kicking myself /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

12. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Yeah I'm running the factory cat and no muffler on it now.

13. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I have hooker headers through 2.5" pipe, dual 40 series flows, and 5" tips. Very aggressive sounding and it gets loud. One thing that makes a difference in my experience is how many miles are on the motor. My old 350 more valvetrain noise and my 406 is actually slightly quieter at idle.

14. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

I want to run just headers into 2.5" all the way back to the 40's. The only reason I need cats is because I cannot get an exhaust shop around here to run the exhaust tubing without cats. I know the cats are only going to make it quiter, and thats not what I want. Does anyone know of any kits or anything that i can buy that supply all of the tubing so that I can run it myself and not have to worry about the cats? I looked at some on jegs, but they seem to really just be one size fits all, and im not exactly sure how easy they will be to install. I found this kit on jegs:
    Jegs universal dual exhaust kit
    The only problem I have with that is that it says it has side exit tailpipes in front of the rear wheels. How do the side exit tailpipes work on a blazer? Will the exhaust be in the way of rocks etc? Thanks.
    -Harrison

15. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

cam effects the sound too. A stock 350 compared to even mine with just a tow cam sounds different. You can sometimes tell the difference in stock vs slight work. My 95 was odd though it was stock but sounded like it wasn't.

16. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

I found a shop here to do it without cats. I had to tell them it was for offroad use only, tow the truck in, and remove evidence of registration (ie the license plates). They also clearly marked the ticket "offroad vehicle".

17. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    I found a shop here to do it without cats. I had to tell them it was for offroad use only, tow the truck in, and remove evidence of registration (ie the license plates). They also clearly marked the ticket "offroad vehicle".

[/ QUOTE ]
    I just had mine done on a Saturday when the gov. employees are at home mowing their lawn and slipped the owner $50 at the exhaust shop. /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

18. smokkey1

smokkey1 1/2 ton status

I have flowmaster 40 series on my burb all stock and it's lound on the low end but on the top end no that loud but I think my swampers drown out the flowmaster /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif but it's sure was louder than stock /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif that was my first mod to the sub.

19. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

Yeah, slipping them some extra cash always works. My problem is that im a high school kid working part time struggling hard enough just to pay gas and insurance. I have enough saved up now to do the exhaust, but I dont have enough money to slip someone an extra $50. I think I have it figured out though.I know where to score some really cheap or even free cats, and I am going to have the exhaust shop run exhaust tubing from the headers back into the cats and into the mufflers. When I get it home from the muffler shop, im going to unbolt the cats and bolt a piece of regular exhaust tubing in its place. Then when inspection time comes, ill unbolt the tubing and re-bolt in the cats. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif Its a little extra work, but I dont really mind. Thanks for the opinions on the mufflers guys. After reading these posts, im definitely going with the 40's. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    -Harrison

20. 79Stomper

79Stomper 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Hey harrison, remember how my truck sounded at Uwharrie? I am running true duals with 40 series Flowmasters with no Catalytic Converter. Sounded even louder before I put the tail pipes on them. I am running 2 1/4" pipe throughtout with a set of headman headers as well. So it should sound similar to mine.