Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How many amp fuse at battery?

Discussion in 'Audio' started by afroman006, Dec 11, 2003.

1. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

I'm almost done putting a stereo in my burb but I dont know how bigga fuse to use at the battery end of my amp power cable. The 2 amps combined use 600 watts RMS. Thx

2. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Amps X Volts = Watts

Amps X 14.4 = 600

Amps = 600 / 14.4

Amps = 41.6

Assuming you could pull ALL the power out of both amps (which you can't) you'd need 40A of current to do it. A fuse of around 40 - 50A would be a good choice.

/forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

3. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

Greg sometimes likes to do a bit too much math and misses out on the easy answer /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif. Just add up the fuse rating on the amps and use that.

4. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I'm lazy, I would just buy a amp wireing kit, in this case a 4 gauge 800 watt kit, and a power disstrabution block. The amp wiring kit will have a fuce.

5. Greg72

I tried to solve this problem with SolidWorks!!!!!

Turns out, it won't install on my ancient Windows98-based system, so now I have to go buy a new computer..... /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

Math can be cool........ maybe I will create a new app called ExcelFUSE???

6. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I tried to solve this problem with SolidWorks!!!!!

Turns out, it won't install on my ancient Windows98-based system

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif Your doing something wrong, cause I've got Solidworks on my win98se system /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. Greg72

I'd better check that out for myself.....send me the CDs immediately.

/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

8. afroman006

*cough* stupidly expensive and flashy *cough* I bought plain ol' 4 gauge wire at the local hardware store and used the power distribution block off one of my CUCV's then ran 8 gauge cable to each amp. Thx Greg.

9. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    *cough* stupidly expensive and flashy *cough* I bought plain ol' 4 gauge wire at the local hardware store and used the power distribution block off one of my CUCV's then ran 8 gauge cable to each amp. Thx Greg.

[/ QUOTE ]*cough* cheap on ebay, I paid $12.00 with shipping on my last one, *cough* *cough* and it comes with the fuce *cough* /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

10. Greg72

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]*cough* cheap on ebay, I paid $12.00 with shipping on my last one, *cough* *cough* and it comes with the fuce *cough* /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Cough.....I didn't realize that this years flu virus was [cough] strong enough to spead over the [cough] internet....
    [cough][cough].... I better go disinfect my keyboard.

/forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

11. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Cough.....I didn't realize that this years flu virus was [cough] strong enough to spead over the [cough] internet....
    [cough][cough].... I better go disinfect my keyboard.

/forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

[/ QUOTE ] /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

12. afroman006

13. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

I had problems installing on Win98 as well...but you should be able to do it? I just installed Win2K...but I think a new computer is in order (no matter how fast your old one was /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif)to be able to run it quicker.

Right now I have an AMD 2200xp (runs about as fast as a P4 2.4) w/ 512MB ram and a 256MB video card (solidworks likes Nvidia cards if you are going new). I'm thinking of going up to 1gig of ram after crashing solidworks a few times /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

14. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

BTW: I don't think Cosmos will moddle electron flow /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif But it will do thermal moddeling /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif